The Reef Tank banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Tune In Tokyo!
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im seriously debating getting rid of my 29 tall and buying an eclipse/seaclear 40 tall. It has the same footprint as my 29 so it will fit on the stand but its 24 inches tall compared to the 29s 19" tall. The real project and reason for this my sump project. I have a 20 long for the sump. On Friday, Im ordering an AquaC Ev 120 skimmer , 2 mag 5s and start dividing the sump for the skimmer and refugium. I dont want an overflow box and Im figuring instead of putting all my livestock and rock in containers, taking the tank to the LFS to drill it (3 holes w/ bulkheads @25 each) I could just buy the acrylic eclipse or seaclear. That way I can drill the holes myself, have a much cleaner looking tank and gain some water.
What do you think?
Any precautions/advice for my 1st acrylic tank?
Is Eclipse a good brand?
Seaclear looks identical but is about 30 bucks less......

·
11,345 Posts
I dont have any knowledge as far as which tank maker to choose as i havent had any experience with either..........just keep in mind it is a entirely different ballgame maintaining a acrylic tank vs. glass. Tread lightly as far as anything you do to the tank.
a year ago i was hell bent on glass only but all of my tanks are now acrylic.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Also make sure the stand can bare the extra weight. Check with who ever you buy the tank from as well some company's won't warranty the tank unless it's on their stand.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
there is no reason to go with acrylic if you like glass. getting a glass drill bit will only cost you about $14 delivered. drilling glass tanks is easy. just takes a drill, a water hose, and some patients. let the weight of the drill do the work, not you.

get the bulkhead first than order the hole saw. let me know and i can give you more info on this. lets see so far i have drilled. at least 12 holes in 5 different tanks. anything from a 20H to a 125g.

G~

·
Registered
176 Posts
Drilling glass v.s. acrylic

Stop!!! dont drill or cut aquarium glass unless you know what you are doing, get it done proffesionally or dont do it. drilling acrylic such as acrylite gp can be done by just filing down the tip of the bit until it looks symetrical

Found at www.cyro.com/

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
the biggest thing you need to be carefull about when drilling glass is making sure that the glass is not tempered. check with the manufacturer if you are in any doubt.

i have drilled many tanks without incident. just make sure the drill weight does the work and not you. plenty of water for cooling is also recommended.

G~

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
:funny: Geoff is a glass pusher ,I say get the Acrylic drilling is easier period and clearer.:thumbup:

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
my perfect tank would be all sides acrylic except for any viewable side. i can not stand the refraction gradient of acrylic. i do like the lightness of the acrylic though. now if we can only find an adhesive that would bond the two together reliably. :D

G~

1 - 12 of 12 Posts