The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone.

I've been dosing Brightwell Code A + Code B for about 1.5 months now. I have found that to maintain my calcium around 450 PPM and my alkalinity at 8 dkh, I need to dose 45 ml per day of each.

backwards calculating this - yeilds a consumtpion of 20 PPM Calcium, 0.007 PPM Magnesium and 0.6 dkh in my 175 total system volume per day.

Applying this to the BRS 2 part - I find I'll need:
90 ml of Calcium Solution
90 ml of Magnesium Solution
209 ml of Alkalinity solution (Soda Ash).

Does this sound correct? How can brightwell be so super saturated with alkalinity (carbonates)?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've adjusted my dose a bit - I dropped the Alk dose to 90 and measured a loss of 0.2 meq/l (from 3.3 to 3.1). I increased the dose to 150 ml and increased the time frame.

I just can't fathom how I could get away with 45 ml from the brightwell product and triple that with 2 part.

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
That doesn't sound right. How big is your tank?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
120 display - 175 gallon total water volume.

I'm testing with a red sea pro foundation test kit. I've been pretty consistent - with meq/l reading 3 to 3.3 and calcium rock steady at 450 PPM and Mg rock steady at 1190 PPM. Phosphates (tested with hanna ULR) are between 6-10 PPB).

I have lots of corralaine growing in the diplay on the rocks and overflow and in the sump.

24 total frags (all still pretty small between 1 to 2 inches) 22 SPS, 1 hammer coral, 1 leather toadstool.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ted

I just started dosing brs two part, I am finding that I need to use 119 ml of alk and about 50 ml of calcium. I am also confused as to why it takes so much when the container says .1 to .3 ml per gallon of water.If anyone else has some impute that would be great

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well first you need to figure out your consumption of Ca and Alk and use the advanced instructions to backwards calculate how much you need:
Each ml of Brightwell Aquatics Reef Cōde A will increase the concentration of calcium (“[Ca2+]”) in 1 US-gallon (3.785 L) of water by approximately 16 ppm.
So if you had a 1 gallon aquarium and it consumed 16 PPM of calcium a day - then you would need 1 ml of code A

Your total water volume is probably around 100-115 gallons (assuming the 55 gallon sump is not full of water). Assuming 100 gallons

your calculation then becomes 100 gallons *X = 50 ml. Solving for x = your Consumption of Ca is 0.5 PPM

Alkalinity:
Each ml of Brightwell Aquatics Reef Cōde B will increase the alkalinity in 1 US-gallon (3.785 L) of water by approximately 2.22 dKH (0.79 meq/L)
So if you had a 1 gallon aquarium and it consumed 0.79 meq/l of Carbonate a day - then you would need 1 ml of code b

100 gallons *x = 120 - X = 1.2 meq/l Carbonate per day (that seems high).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts