The Reef Tank banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in a couple weeks I am going to be building a new tank stand for my 46 bowfront. The stand that it is currently on is one of those pressed board stands that you get from Petco. Problem is, it has gotten wet a few times, and with little kids that like to touch the tank, it just seems sketchy that it is going to fall, plus is has no room for a sump. So I'm building a custom sturdy stand.

Now question is, what would be the best way to move the tank off the current stand, put the new stand in its place and place the tank back on top. I know I am going to have to just empty it completely, and place everything in 5 gallon buckets for 30 minutes?

·
Reefaholic
2,736 Posts
I know I am going to have to just empty it completely, and place everything in 5 gallon buckets for 30 minutes?
Unfortunately this is the only way I know of. Instead of 5 gallon buckets though you could use a large Rubbermaid container to hold livestock. Then you will only need to heat one container instead of worrying about many.

·
Watchful Goby
321 Posts
Budget more time than 30 minutes. I swapped stands on my 20 gallon a few weeks ago, and it took a few hours start to finish. Luckily, it was almost exactly 78ºF that day, so I didn't need to worry about heating the buckets.

I had a minor flare up of algae after the move, but it wasn't anything worth changing the sand over. If you keep your sandbed clean anyway, you won't have any issues.

·
My reef tanks my wallet.
925 Posts
I would will a 5 gallon bucket and put your fish/inverts in that. Then the rest of the water to a large rubbermaid and put your rock in that. Take the water down to about an inch above the sand. I would not change out the sand unless you want a mini-cycle. Then move the stand, put the rock back in, and carefully pour the water back in being extra careful to not stir up all the sand. I usually pour it SLOWLY over the rocks so it trickles down. Then lastly put your fish/livestock back in.

Then I usually do a small water change.

You could put a heater in the bucket with the fish but its not really necessary. You should be done in about 2 hours and the temperature swing won't be that much. I don't put a heater in the bucket as I'm more concerned about overheating the bucket....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well thanks for all of the input! I ran into another problem however, which I guess is good timing, the center brace on the top for my bowfront is broke and now I am paranoid that my entire tank is going to explode all over my living room. Do you think that if I put a bar clamp on it for now it will last two more weeks? I am going out of town for the 4th and am building my new stand when I return and it would be too much to swap tanks twice in two weeks. What are your thoughts? Or do you think the tank will just be fine left alon in the mean time. It isn't bowing, except for the obvious bowfront, from what I can tell.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I found a 65 gallon tank at my LFS that is used for $70 and am planning on buying that to replace my 46 BF

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yea I mean I am sure it is fine for right now...I have had a canopy on it for a while, and i just took the canopy off because i hung LEDs from my ceiling and I noticed it was broke, so who knows how long it has actually been broke and it doesn't leak....yet

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,658 Posts
You can add a clamp but just snug to keep it from bulging but not tight that could break other areas.But new sand in but you can leave like a cup but you have the rock that will seed it and going to a new setup twice the size you will be adding more rock anyway and will have a mini cycle beside just moving rock can do it,hope you don't have anything to delicate.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the advice. I don't have anything too delicate yet, that's why I want to do this now.

I have a clownfish, dottyback, and firefish

1 blue mushroom
1 Hawaiian Feather Duster
1 Small Duncan colony
1 Small Torch Head
1 Kenya Tree Frag
1 Small Zoa Colony

1 - 13 of 13 Posts