The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I've been out of the hobby for a short bit, but am back in it now with this nifty lil' cadlights 5g aio tank.
I used a two pieces of base/dead rock from my old 75g tank for aquascaping, and one 5lb bag of 'live sand'. I also took a piece of dr, smashed it into bits and put it into the fuge area of the tank instead of bioballs. And for good measure, I threw in the tail piece from a raw shrimp to make sure the cycle would get rockin'.
So, here are some pics before and immediately after filling:

And the next day:

I don't have a pic yet, but a friend of mine sent me some chaeto, so I added that to the tank(thanks MrJames!). I also added a micro-jet (thanks again Tony!) to the display since the return pump just wasn't creating enough surface water movement.
Also, since this tank was used I still need to replace the bulbs. I've been trying to reorder them through cadlights, but the shopping cart feature isn't working for me right now....
As far as stocking, I've been kicking around having a couple scarlet hermits, maybe sexy shrimp, 1 or 2 snails, and maybe a small goby but I might just keep it an invert tank. I will do some zoas, some of the 'easier' LPS and softies. But, I've got lots of time to mull that over.
So, that's it for now. I'll update as things progress. This is by far the smallest tank I've ever done and while I've read up a lot on it, advice and comments are always welcome ;)

·
Reef Overlord
486 Posts
In order to keep it stable, I would figure out an ATO on such a small tank. My AP24 loses about a gallon a day with a fan blowing on the surface and 160Watts of PC laying on the eggcrate cover. Nanos are cool because you start to notice things that get lost in larger tanks. Keep us updated

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Everyone! Yes, I forgot to mention that it has a 4 bulb T5 NO combo with 2-actinic and 2-10k daylight bulbs, 6w each. I just got off with phone with cadlights and my new bulbs are on the way!

Question: I want to put in an LED moonlight, how many bulbs should I shoot for?

Alittlefishy, 1 gal/day is really high! I had about that evap rate with my old 75. This one has only been running since last weekend, but I've only had to add ~1qt of water. I do agree that an ATO would be pretty cool! Especially since we go out of town for several days on end. I'll have to look into that more :)

·
Registered
290 Posts
Glad to see you got it set up Suzi. I agree about the ATO. Top off was a pain when I had the tank. I had a Pom Pom Crab in there when I had it and really enjoyed watching him.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Alittlefishy, 1 gal/day is really high! I had about that evap rate with my old 75. This one has only been running since last weekend, but I've only had to add ~1qt of water. I do agree that an ATO would be pretty cool! Especially since we go out of town for several days on end. I'll have to look into that more :)
My 8g can go through an easy 1/2g or more when the fan is running. w/o a fan, evap is very little.

·
Reef Overlord
486 Posts
Without the fan, the evap isn't that bad, but the temp gets too high. 160W of PC less than an inch off the water transfers a lot of heat. I'm hopeing my new 75 won't evap that much. An ATO is nice no matter what though. If that had been halide over a 5G, the ATO would've been almost mandatory.:nuts:

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Nice Nano! have you decided what kind of fish you are going to get? Like Little fishy said, you can display some really cool creatures that wouldn't get appreciated in a large tank.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks again everyone!

Traci-I know that if I do a fish, I definitely want to put a unique goby in there. I haven't done too much research on this yet, I figured a have lots of time to look further into it. However, looking at LA the other day for ideas I saw a trimma and a red striped goby. They looked neat and only get to be 1", but I'm not sure how hard they are to keep. I'm open to suggestions though :D I still want to put some unique inverts in there. Maybe some 'unwanted' acro crabs or something.... People in the local club in FL where always trying to rehome acro crabs... The pom-pom sounds like a cool addition Willie! I might give that a try.

I'm waiting for the new bulbs to come in so I'll post updated pics of it then, unless they come in while I'm out of town next week. I did have a small issue with a protein film building on the surface, but redirecting one of the jets has just about taken care of that:thumbup: I'll probably test it this weekend to see where the cycle is at too.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
FTS and Updates

Ok, 2 weeks in now and the diatom bloom in ramping up :D All the params tested aok this weekend and I got the new bulbs installed. The only thing now is that I've got to replace one of the ballast as its only firing one of the bulbs and now the other one is flickering. No biggie since it's just a $10 fix. I think I'll retrofit in some LEDs into the canopy while I'm at it (Thanks Zombo for the feedback on that).
Here's the latest pics:

I've been looking more into the unique goby idea... I found a couple REALLY interesting ones. The only thing is I don't think I could let myself (nor would my hubby let me) spend this much money on such a tiny fish:lol: But, check out the Flaming Prawn Goby (Discordipinna griessingeri).
http://www.marinecenter.com/fish/gobies/flamingprawngoby/

I'm thinking about the Trimma Goby especially since it's much more doable on my budget.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+31+1968&pcatid=1968

Anyway, my janitors aren't going in for at ~2 more weeks, then whatever fish I add aren't going to be added until September/October at the earliest.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts