The Reef Tank banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So like many people in Michigan I am without power. I live in an apartment so a generator isn't really an option if I could even find one at this point. So far I have been able to maintain the tank temperature using insulation, a water circulation blanket(used to keep pets under anesthesia from going hypodermic) and heating water over an array of candles (yes candles...). Also I am aerating the water with a battery powered aerator. 28 hours later and so far everything "seems" ok.

My question is on lighting, I have no way of providing light to my coral. I can get some natural light to the tank but I know it isn't even close to adequate. I plan on picking up a UPS from Best Buy today, which I will charge at my work, to at least provide some sort of lighting to the coral. I may not have power until 12/28 and my concern is coral will be affected.

Will off the shelf LED lighting do anything? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Also I do plan on acclimating the tank back to my lighting once this is all said and done.

·
Shark...fish are friends
5,096 Posts
I'm in the same boat except I'm running a generator so I at least have heaters running in the tanks. I heated the tanks up to 82 yesterday then shut the generator off for 9 hours and my tanks were down to 60 when I woke up this morning... I'm not running my lights because I'm afraid they might get damaged running off the generator (well the T5HO lights on my FW won't even power up on the generator, but my LED's on my SW I don't want to damage).

I found last night that putting aluminum foil over top of the tanks, then putting blankets over top of them helped me warm them up faster, so guessing it also helps keep them warm longer... but that isn't much of an option with lighting...

One thing I did in November when I was without power was went and bought a 750W power inverter and I took my deep cycle marine battery off my boat and could use that for powering my tanks for about 3 hours at a time, then the battery would be low enough that the inverter started beeping and shut off (assuming its just a safety feature built in to the inverter I bought to keep from completely draining a battery). Then I'd go hook the battery to my truck and run the truck for 20-30 minutes to recharge the battery... but that got old quick so I went and bought the generator...

I had someone just tell me that Preuss will hold your fish and such for you for a small fee.... I haven't contacted them yet to find out what it cost... I'm estimated restore the 27th, but was planning on leaving to go to TN for a week Christmas night or the morning of the 26th, now with this crap happening again I'm burning through money like its going out of style... $40 a day for gas in the generator...

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess I'll keep the lights off and hope for the best lol. My girlfriend was at preuss pets yesterday to get the aerator and I don't think the mentioned holding the fish. Last I knew they'd buy them from you but wouldn't actually hold them. Might be worth the call though I am paranoid about moving livestock!

Thanks for your help and good luck to you as well.

·
Shark...fish are friends
5,096 Posts
I decided to uncover my tank and plugged in a spiral CFL 23W bulb in a desk lamp fixture to see if it would be enough to keep my corals happy... it grows plants so I would think it should grow corals too, they don't draw a ton of power if you wanted to run it off of a power inverter... or could find a battery powered light fixture...

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unfortunately my boss made me come in to work this morning and could care less if everything died. So I haven't been able to watch my tank as closely as I wish I could. I checked it out at lunch today and the temp is holding steady and everything still appears ok. I did notice a white spot on one of the fish though, couldn't tell what it was since apparently shining a flash light on it pisses it off lol.

When I checked the tank everything looked "half open" except a zoa colony which was completely closed and a gsp colony which was 90% closed. I think I am going to stick with no lights at the moment but let me know how the light works out for you. I am curious since it might be possible to DIY a basic LED strip just for outages.

Also how are you handling feedings? Is your tank fully running since you have a generator? Another concern I have is I don't have a filter but I need to feed the fish and any uneaten food and detritus is just going to sit there.

Also while I was looking in to generators and UPSs a lot of people mentioned the output signal of the generator/UPS. If it isn't putting out a true Sine wave then it could affect your pumps and other equipment. This could be why your lights won't turn on, I am not sure since I just saw the statement in "passing".

·
Shark...fish are friends
5,096 Posts
I've read the modified sine info about inverters, I was told that generators should not be modified sine but a true sine wave, but IDK. I don't have pumps running because they act funny running off the generator, powerheads sounded like they were not running right... so I just have the airstone bubbling. I kind of wonder if I get the 220v plug in and plug straight in to my meter if it would work better but not able to find the plugs I need right now, so maybe I'll be prepared by the next time power goes out...

I fed sparingly, my tank seems to have an issue in low light / low temp settings that the algae really grows like crazy... it has turned a very bright green color... did the same thing last time the power went out... will have to take everything out and scrub it all down when power comes back on...

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the update. I have a 6500k bulb somewhere I can try and use. Just need to figure out how to power it...

At this point if I don't have power by Wednesday I am going to cut my losses and sell all the livestock to Preuss Pets. Eventually the room temperature is going to drop low enough to where maintaining the tank temp will be near impossible.

·
Veteran Newbie
3,799 Posts
Corals will be fine for a few days without light. It happens in nature with hurricanes and large weather systems. They get little to no light for several days. In a power outage, the most important thing is maintaining temp, and second most important is providing aeration, whether it be with an air stone or PHs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Good luck! My heart is sinking reading this thread. I really hope things turn out well for you. I had a heater and return pump bust last winter and the temps went way down but luckily all I had was inverts which all survived. Merry Christmas

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was fortunate enough to get power back a few hours ago which made my Christmas lol. After a bit more work the tank is back up and running with no losses so far. Just need to do a big water change and hopefully the fish stay healthy.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I was fortunate enough to get power back a few hours ago which made my Christmas lol. After a bit more work the tank is back up and running with no losses so far. Just need to do a big water change and hopefully the fish stay healthy.
That's great. I hope it works out for you and everyone else without power.
Good luck and Merry Christmas

:beer:

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've read the modified sine info about inverters, I was told that generators should not be modified sine but a true sine wave, but IDK. I don't have pumps running because they act funny running off the generator, powerheads sounded like they were not running right... so I just have the airstone bubbling. I kind of wonder if I get the 220v plug in and plug straight in to my meter if it would work better but not able to find the plugs I need right now, so maybe I'll be prepared by the next time power goes out...

I fed sparingly, my tank seems to have an issue in low light / low temp settings that the algae really grows like crazy... it has turned a very bright green color... did the same thing last time the power went out... will have to take everything out and scrub it all down when power comes back on...
Desperate times call for desperate measures, but be super careful plugging a generator into your house panel. Electricity flows both ways, and if there's a technician working on the box down the street, you can light him up real quick.

They make switches that you can install to cut the line to the street for this exact purpose. This is just a public service announcement. I hope everything turns out okay! Merry Christmas.

·
Shark...fish are friends
5,096 Posts
Desperate times call for desperate measures, but be super careful plugging a generator into your house panel. Electricity flows both ways, and if there's a technician working on the box down the street, you can light him up real quick.

They make switches that you can install to cut the line to the street for this exact purpose. This is just a public service announcement. I hope everything turns out okay! Merry Christmas.
you don't need anything special... your breaker box has a large "main" breaker that disconnects you from the grid. If your house is older and has fuses there is still a "main" fuse that you pull and it disconnects you from the grid. As long as you aren't trying to wire in direct to the meter (and assuming that your house was wired "to code" at some point in history)... I disconnect my main then backfeed the house, will do the same when I get 220 hooked up, except there is a breaker in my box that already has the wire ran to it, so I'm just going to use that wire since its no longer connected for the dryer (switched from electric to gas and they disconnected the wire when they did...)

My generator seems to have a safety relay in it as well. If it is plugged in and you turn the main back on (even when I didn't have power) the generator would automatically shut down... has to have some sort of sensors that read how much resistance there is or something... when you try backfeeding with the main on there would be such large amp draws / lack of resistance that it shuts down (idk exactly how it works, I just know mine does work that way because I tested it, may not be the case for all generators)

·
Shark...fish are friends
5,096 Posts
mine didn't come back on until the 28th... I left 12/24 around 8am and went to my wife's family's house for Christmas, came back home around 8pm 12/25 and my goby and clown were both dead. My peppermint shrimp wasn't looking good, but as I heated the tank up he came back to life... and my tiger pistol shrimp looked dead, I was picking bristle worms out of the tank with tweasers since they were all out of the rock and picked up the tiger pistol by the tail with the tweasers and he wiggled free so was still alive but not active... I left the generator running over night then left 12/26 at about 6am and headed to Tennessee, power didn't come back on until the 28th, wife came home on the 29th... my snails seem to be alive, peppermint is still alive, tiger pistol I haven't seen yet to know if he survived after I left for TN or not... my corals seem to still be alive, I was worried about my Duncan because it was completely withdrawn into itself, but it is slowly starting to open up a little more so seems to be alive.

I'm still considering selling my corals and shrimps and take a break from the SW tank until I can upgrade to a bigger tank... too much work getting everything just right in my 10 gal tank to start over again...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts