The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I am learning and reading and getting lots of info running around my head and thinking about which method I'll use. I would love to hear from everyone about the methods used and problems they encounter testing the water chemistry. PH,TA,Calcuim,etc..
I'm assuming the test kits utilize the color metric's.
I think the test strips are ok for a quick Nitrate and Nitrite but the ph part I feel I'm guessing.

·
It's Happy Hour Somewhere
569 Posts
As I am learning and reading and getting lots of info running around my head and thinking about which method I'll use. I would love to hear from everyone about the methods used and problems they encounter testing the water chemistry. PH,TA,Calcuim,etc..
I'm assuming the test kits utilize the color metric's.
I think the test strips are ok for a quick Nitrate and Nitrite but the ph part I feel I'm guessing.
Personally, I do not use the test strip style kits for any testing.

For pH I use an electronic probe.
I use liquid/powder test kits to test everything else. Personally, I like Seachem test kits however I know many others use Salifert and are very happy with their use.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I have yet to see a test strip that is good for anything but ammonia and nitrites. That is because you want both to be zero. For Cal, Alk I use Salifert. For PH I use my Aqua Jr and a pin point PH tester. However, I do not believe that PH is important to spend money on unless you are going mainly the SPS route.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I remember years ago Rob telling Teach not to worry about PH, "if your tank looks good, then the PH level is adequate". Here again, it's "large or sudden swings" that gets you in trouble...

In 4 years we never tested PH in the 90 (mixed reef to SPS back to mixed reef), nor do I test in the 40 (predominantly SPS).

Please keep in mind that we use a controller and 2 separate probes to monitor in the 180...

Good luck!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I really appreciate everyones input. I have really learned a lot! This information is very valuable to me. Thank you!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts