The Reef Tank banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all parts of the US experiencing record breaking high temperatures and prolonged heat waves, we thought it might be a good idea to look at how everyone is keeping their aquariums “COOL”.

MASNA (Marine Aquarium Societies of North America) would like to publish the results of this survey in its next Marine Scene on-line newsletter, so we need your input SOON! Please cut and past the following link in your web browser to complete the survey.

http://www.masna.org/survey-heat.php

Thanks, and KEEP COOL!

Cathy Garey and Bob Lemcke, MASNA Board Members

·
Registered
264 Posts
Keep the AC at 75. Bags of ice on occasion that the AC has frozen. Chopped an hour off my light period.

Currently, I am debating if I'd rather crank the AC for another couple months or spring for a chiller.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks for the survey! I finally hooked up my chiller a few weeks ago. Fans blowing on the sump were working, but I was nervous and wanted a backup.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Im in a small 3 bedroom townhouse and we keep our air at 65 all the time... and pay 200 bucks in electricity a month to do that. But my tank stay cool!

·
Registered
417 Posts
keep my AC around 75-76 degrees and my tank stays between 79 and 80...but then again, I just replaced my whole house AC

·
Registered
874 Posts
have my reef tank at work right under an air vent. Some times I have used a clip style fan to blow across the surface, that works wonders.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pillz said:
Im in a small 3 bedroom townhouse and we keep our air at 65 all the time... and pay 200 bucks in electricity a month to do that. But my tank stay cool!
With temps like that, have you given any thought to having a North Pacific cold water reef tank requiring water temps of 60? :p

Bob

·
Registered
573 Posts
maybe I should! All I know is throughout the winter it was so cold in my house that you could see your breath! I hate it like that but my roomates insist on it. I guess its better than having a chiller though!

·
Registered
440 Posts
I keep my house at 77-78 but I have an airline that runs thru the vent system then into my tank and out an airstone. I also have a fan running across the top of the tank. It is keeping the tank at about 76.:D

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
While I appreciate your comments in this thread about how you're keeping your tanks cool (e.g., I use an IceCap fan), are you guys completing this simple survey? If not, please do.

We want to collect all of the ways reefers across North America are keeping their tanks cool this summer.

Thanks!

Bob

·
Registered
455 Posts
I've taken a hint from the Deltec Ecochiller and retrofitted an old wet/dry into a sump. The tank has equalized at 78 degrees since I went to this setup even with the 2 X 250 MH and 2 X 96w PCs on. The sump has 3 separate areas with the drip tray now over the second one which is filled with LR. I have a 6" fan over the drip tray and it seems that it's easier for the fan to cool the sheet of water as it's traveling over the drip tray versus a larger body of water.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts