The Reef Tank banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was somehow trick into buying something called Purple-up because i asked if there was anything to help/promote growth on my live rock.........purple-up is a calcium/iodine supplement.........has anyone heard or used it and should i continue too or not

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Well the word around here is that it is pointless to use. I personally do not use it.
Lets see what Geoff has to say about it.

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,658 Posts
Mine grows good without it.I tried it and it made no difference,because with doing my weekly water changes it has all the stuff in the water change.

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
personally, if I dont' know what's in it...and I'm not testing for it...I don't like adding things to my tank. JMO.

Some people on here have used it, and seem to like it. It's the "Down the road" affect that worries me.

·
Stinky Slimey FEESH
2,718 Posts
I don't use it - - I try not to use anything that I wouldn't get normally in a good WC......

HHC

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
using kalk would be cheaper and better in the long run than using that stuff. it does work short term, but long term it will skew your levels. :( unless you have a Ca, alk, and iodine (iodine really should not be added to a system period, besides normal water changes) test kits than i would not add it. if you do have those test kits than you can use it, but make sure you have some two part Ca and alk suppliment solutions on hand to correct for any shifting going on due to the purple up.

G~

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I too just purchased this purple - up stuff. I added it into my tank and my CA is 450 to 500 and alk is about 8. The Iodine I cant test for. but with my test kits they stink anyway. for the most part the conditions in my tank are suppose to be good for the coralline algae but I cant get to grow. I get the green and very little pink or purple's thats why I purchased it to just give it a boost or a start. On my LR it has the coralline but other then that very little on the tank. As for the Kalk my LFS stated its hard to use and there is not a real good system for slow drip into the tank.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts