The Reef Tank banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anybody has bought lobster shrimp or crab from the supermarket live then placed them in your saltwater aquarium to be eaten at a later date.

·
Super Moderator
10,750 Posts
They have to be kept in a tank that is MUCH cooler than your standard tank.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How many degrees are we talking? Also any other theoretical problems?

This is more just curiosity, I think it would be a terrible pain trying to catch individual shrimp from a live rock and coral system. Also if I had lobsters I would have to name them then could never eat them haha. But the ones I have seen in restaurant tanks are beautiful. Just surprised I don't see more in home tanks.

·
Super Moderator
10,750 Posts
We've had some threads on this in the past. I'm not sure of the exact temp you have to keep it at but the lobster tanks that are in stores have large chillers. It may be in the 50s or 60s.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What about lobsters that live on tropical coral reefs? Would that not be the same? My lfs is trying to sell me an 8 cm red lobster . Apparently this is not the eating kind. Anyone know the difference?

·
Super Moderator
10,750 Posts
What about lobsters that live on tropical coral reefs? Would that not be the same? My lfs is trying to sell me an 8 cm red lobster . Apparently this is not the eating kind. Anyone know the difference?
Take a look at www.liveaquaria.com . They are a different type.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
was looking at the link, I could only find a bit of info on the fresh water red lobster. Anyway, it might be a project for another time... Making a lobster tank. Thanks for the insight.

Cheers

Ps. As I was typing this and reading about lobsters I acclimated 3 new guys to my 300 gallon reef tank. Took about 4 hours but everyone looks happy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've thought about doing the same thing. I suppose in the cooler months I could put a larger unheated tank in my garage.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts