·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Blog Created for superjohnny

I'll list the equipment here:
Eclipse System 6 tank without hood or filtration
2 screw in 25w 6500k PC lights in clamp-on workshop hoods
~50w old old heater (please don't fry my tank-please don't fry my tank-please don't fry my tank)
Tetra Whisper HOB
8lbs Hatian live rock
~5lbs live sand

The plan is for this to go away when I finish drilling, planning and figuring out how to afford my 29g. One thing at a time...

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok time to document a little of my history. I started out about 3 years ago, but was unable to get into the hobby. I've been into FW for about 4 years and just kind of gotten tired of it. I still maintain a 45g planted with a few fish who I've had for years. So I got the itch again in March do do a SW. This time I could not ignore it. So I set out to Seahorse NW for some live rock, sand and saltwater and set up my Eclipse System 6. The best part of this tank is the tank, the rest of it sucks. If'n you're in the market for a 6g, keep looking.

Here is the initial setup:

It wasn't long before it started cycling and looked something like this:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I let it sit like this for 2 weeks and then I went to Buenos Aires for another 5. When I got home I ran the tests and it was about cycled and covered in algae so I added 15 snails of various types (bumble-bee's, nassarius, margarita, and cerith).

After a week or 2 I was gettin' a little antsy so I went back to Woddy's and picked up a nice star polyp. Under actinic it has a nice green flourescence on the tips:

Not too much longer Bert the cleaner shrimp came around...

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bert is quite entertaining. I stuck my hand down in the water today and let him freak out at my fingers. My wife was thoroughly disguested, but I really liked it. Bert creeps her out I'm sorry to say. I'm hoping she'll get over her fear of critters a little. If just a little.

I've been working and tweaking and here's what I came up with...

Using a HOB as a "fuge" is almost too easy. I had to cut a chunk out to fit around the tank brace, but it really fits perfectly. I removed the powerhead and am hoping this will give me enough flow. Trying to get stuff out of the display is important in such a small tank. In the back is some seaweed Woody threw in with the cleaner shrimp. I've left the screen for mechanical filtration, but it'll surely be a nitrate trap. I'll clean it frequently.

So I've been running a little low financially, but I couldn't pass this up. You know this old story, I went to the LFS with no money and couldn't say no...
blue shroom

Got that from the pet store on Broadway. I'm not sure what his name is, but the guy that runs it knows how to reef.

Anyway, here's a FTS:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pulled out a 2" bristle worm today. Took me a while to ID him. I thought he was cool, but my wife said he's too ugly and I should take him out. Turns out she was right. Also killed 2 aptasia heads. I know there were 3, but I couldn't find the 3rd. I'll have to find it later and boil more water :freak:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
6g is gone. I found a 10g on the side of the road so free upgrade! But then my lighting didn't really work so I built a hood. Drama with the ballast, new ballast & a 96w quad power-compact later and I have decent light! Pics to come...

Equipment & Livestock:
AGA 10g
15lbs seeded live sand
HOB filter running carbon currently
CPR backpak skimmer
Powerhead 201
7lbs Hatian LR
Bert the cleaner shrimp
various types of snails
Hammer coral
Star polyps
Blue/purple shrooms with acouple of zoo's in there on the rock somewhere and a giant red thing. No idea what it is, but it keeps growing.

Here's the 1st purchase after getting the new light working:

Bert doesn't seem to mind the extra room

and a FTS

Kinda boring without fish huh? I'll remedy that soon enough, for now I'm working on setting up a stable environment. I don't take to experimenting with live critters.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts