The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has kept a hardcore bb tank with absolutley nothing but the corals. To be specific, glue your frags to a larger flat piece of acrylic instead of LR. so there is no LR in your tank at all. if you have no fish either then i would expect that the tank would be much easier to keep clean too. What are your thoughts on this?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've seen japanese tanks with no or very minimal live rock and the corals look spectacular (crazy lighting too helps). I've thought about doing that myself recently on my 180...still just a thought. So why do we put so much LR in there?

·
Registered
8 Posts
There appears to be rock, probably LR in these tanks, just not a large amount.

My question is, is there a sump or something that we're not seeing? Maybe he has a sump full of LR but no corals.
It's so hard to figure out what this guy has because I can't read Japanese.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Wow, I love that tank. I'm assuming he has to have something for bacteria to grow. There are some decent sized fish in that tank. I remember seeing a fishless system without any rock in it. I think it was Jerel's friend...galleon is his name?

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
How are those corals living? I thought they would sting each other that close. Is that really possible?

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,735 Posts
Viv said:
How are those corals living? I thought they would sting each other that close. Is that really possible?
I think they do sting each other. Usually when a war starts, one coral prevails, or they simply both grow away from each other. I have seen pics of it from over suffed tanks, and allot of people simply let them fight.

Whiskey

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,735 Posts
There appears to be rock, probably LR in these tanks, just not a large amount.

My question is, is there a sump or something that we're not seeing? Maybe he has a sump full of LR but no corals.
It's so hard to figure out what this guy has because I can't read Japanese.
That is what I was trying to get to in the other thread, we never found a sight that told about the whole setup, just the display.

Whiskey

·
Premium Member
13,218 Posts
Chris (galleon, Alfalfa) has a long thread on the whole setup somewhere around here.
Do a search for Mote/Alfalfa.

It's pretty much the way all marine labs do it. Leave as many things out of the formula that you can't control as you can.

·
Detritus is not a pet
386 Posts
I couldn't find them the other day. Last I remember one of the acros had fallen and broken that's when he started fiddling with the system in the picture.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts