The Reef Tank banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Reefer
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok.. I got a nice sunset motipora about a 2 inch frag from a guy i met off frags.org. It was beautiful until i messed with it. It encrusted over a standard sized plug and i wanted to cut off the bottom of the plug so that i could let it sit on a rock evenly/. The montipora just domed over the plug so that if i cut the bottom plug off it would be even. So i broke out the cutting wheel on my drill and started cutting away. As i was cutting, the powdery rocky stuff that was comming off (kinda milky like) was hitting the bottom edges of the montipora. After i was done and the bottom of the plug was removed i was left with this whitish substance around the edges of the monti. I tried swishing it around in the tank and some came off but the rest is still there. Like it embedded into the flesh of the montipora. I also tried blowing it off with a powerhead... didnt work either. Finally last night i tried to rub it off gently with my finger but that didnt work either. Today when i looked at the part that i rubbed it seemed to have lost its orange color. Is it possible to rub the orange off of these montiporas? What did i do?? Will it heal up?? Please help as i have gotton the rare montiporas like superman, pokerstar, rainbow and sunset from this guy and dont want to make any more dumb mistakes. Thanks

· originally original
990 Posts
My monti caps turn white and slime where I touch them, don't worry about it, it's what they do. The less you touch it, the happier it will be.

· Registered
1,141 Posts
sunset montie loses its orange anytime you frag it or mess with its location. and it takes a few weeks to get it back. the polyps should still be flourescent green though. fear not, you cant kill this montie.
which is why you dont frag it and then take a wysiwyg picture unless you heal it first.

· Premium Member
11,973 Posts
Ah yes, but I would have almost been able to predict the results of that battle as my caps always win over everything else in the tank.

I also am not sure why my Superman has the massive polyp extension on it like it does. It has been that way since I added it to my system and I am not going to complain about it, but it does make it look different.

That is a very nice assortment of corals in that shot. It looks like it may be time to make some more room. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.