The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Reefer
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine is selling me his 48" Sunpod Fixture with two 14,000k HQI Halide bulbs and the moon white and blue lights. He said his fixture is about 10 months old and wants $200 for it. Right now i have two Sunpaq 65 watt 10,000K ,460 Actinic power compact bulbs over my 75gallon tank. My question is is this a good deal? Also what is the bulb life for these halides and when should they be replaced. If so what is the best place to order these bulbs from? I am planning on having acropora. Right now i have Acan, shrooms, some leathers and zoas. Also How realiable are these fixtures??? Will i be sorry i bought it??
Thanks

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
that's a very good deal.

is it 2x150W or 2x250W?

either way, i'd suggest that you swap the bulbs for new ones anyway. i think those are the bulbs that came with the fixture.

are you planning to use any supplemental actinics or blue lights with the sunpod?

J.

·
spaceman spiff
11,769 Posts
Bulb life would be somewhere between 9-12 months, so you'll want to replace the bulbs pretty soon if he hasnt already done so. Like J asks, which specific model is it?

·
Reefer
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry i should have specified they ars two 150watt bulbs. Do i need to have actinics? if so i was thinking of replacing the 50/50'S i have with actinic bukbs. Wont the tank get too hott with both fixtures? Are these sunpod fixtures good and reliable fixtures? How long should the bulb be replaced?

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
bulbs. Do i need to have actinics?
you don't *need* them. but depending on the look that you like your tank to have, and which MH bulb that you're using, you could need tu supplement with blue and/or actinic lights.
it all depends on which bulbs you get, and what look you like.

if so i was thinking of replacing the 50/50'S i have with actinic bukbs. Wont the tank get too hott with both fixtures? Are these sunpod fixtures good and reliable fixtures? How long should the bulb be replaced?
i have a 20" sunpod (150W) over my tank. it does add some heat, but nothing ridiculous that i can't control with some fans blowing across the water surface.

as far a reliability, i have had mine for less than one year, and so far, so good ;)

J.

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
That's a terrific deal, speaking how I just sold mine to a member here for $350 shipped. I had the same fixture and used Phoenix 14K bulbs. They seemed to have the best color on the tank and also seemed to be the brightest. I tried 20K's on there and it didn't seem bright enough...I ran them without actinics with the 14K's, and that is what I suggest.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts