The Reef Tank banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Red Tiger Oscars and Cichlids
416 Posts
Actually I couldn't for the longest time either Vinnie, was an absolute NO GO! I did eventually try sushi and really enjoyed it. If you like eating cocktail shrimp you will like sushi.

·
Registered
Red Tiger Oscars and Cichlids
416 Posts
No doubt. We took the family out to the Atlantic years ago when the kids were young and I managed to get to California a couple times for work - man does everything at the ocean taste way better.

·
Super Moderator
22,340 Posts
Afternoon all,
Update on mom is as such:
She got sprung from the ER ( she DID get a room on a floor for the evening /next morning) tests done and meds doled out . She went home yesterday, and is to get the procedure to helpthe circulation to her toes done at a future date as a outpatient. She is feeling better , foot/toe and overall.
Part of the problem with her feeling lousy is that she had blood sugar levels in the 500 range ( as my nursing student nephew said, pre- diabetic coma numbers) Her numbers are down now , and is currently labeled as diabetic . Working with her on getting the meds she has to take in the overall picture sorted out for her to remember what she needs to take etc. checked into Meals on Wheels to being her grub, since she was lx with eating or eating well after we lost my Dad. Gonna go to mom’s and finish up the evergreen trimming and the last section of yard cleanup for the winter, and schedule a bunch of “work” breaks to spend time with mom.

Went up north with Sis to visit Molly the macaw’s breeder and see how Molly has been doing. Guess she took a step back and went back to baby bird formula this week, so the breeder suggested another week for me to bring her home . Totally cool with me , since she knows her birds best and when they are good to go for going to their new humans . Looks like this upcoming Saturday is when I bring her home . I had Molly on my hand a few times, and the breeder said that parrots/Macaws tend to act
Like 2 yr old human mini peoples, their whole life. Was well aware of it , having a number of parrots in my life, but think my work is cut out for me with this one , haha. Molly, like some/most large parrots and macaws seem to like to push ones buttons and contact correction for bad behavior tends to be the norm. Don’t get me wrong , it’s not like it is a constant back n forth battle with a macaw to behave, but it’s a thing , haha.
Not even 2 months old and Molly is saying a few words already . “Up” being the first word , since “Up” is used when having a bird grasp/climb on one’s hand, so it’s used often . Both Molly and her nest/clutch brother were saying “up” back n forth while I was there. Since she is young and feeling her oats with those two wing things that let her fly( which will be lightly trimmed when I bring her home so she will tend to not fly from me willy -nilly while she gets used to me /trained) we make a perfect match , heheh,,, with those huge wings and they get to flapping in place, she puts out a heck of a nice cooling breeze aimed towards me. She will be a huge help when those birthday candles on my future B-day cakes get to be more numerous , haha.

Breeder posted new pics today of Molly and her brother( below), Molly is on the right.

Snow on the ground when I woke up, all gone now.
Just a sign of what is to come , sigh/waaa.
I like the 4 seasons thing , it’s just that winter type weather seems to show up before I’m ready for it .

On to the rest of the day,,

Hope everyone is having a great day! Picture frame Easel Bird Wood Rectangle

Bird Macaw Beak Parrot Organism

Reactions: cath

·
Super Moderator
Multiple tanks, reef, seahorse and fresh water
26,043 Posts
Good evening all,

Jeff, glad your mom is better. High sugary can create a whole lot of troubles, is she diabetic? Or is this new to her.
Molly is beautiful , looks really healthy.

·
Super Moderator
22,340 Posts
Good evening all,

Jeff, glad your mom is better. High sugary can create a whole lot of troubles, is she diabetic? Or is this new to her.
Molly is beautiful , looks really healthy.
Thanks,
Diabetes is a out of the blue new thing for mom.
The good thing is that it was discovered during the leg/toes circulation checks/tests.
It also explains mom’s overall feeling and her recent appearance of “memory” losses/lapses. We were afraid she was going downhill mentally/memory-wise “on its own” , when a great part of how she was feeling and acting was due to the glucose levels.
Today’s FB pics of Molly don’t really show her true colors , and size. She is larger in person AND the same size as her brother , just weird pic perception.

·
Super Moderator
22,340 Posts
Glad to hear a small win for your mom. Molly is indeed beautiful. How old?
Not 100% sure, but I think she is around 2 months old🤔🤷🏻‍♂️ Forgot to ask the breeder today🥴, and meant to. She was weaned of formula/ baby bird food recently( and had a slight backwards move back to a bit formula this week) . She fledged and took to perching a few weeks ago. So she is having a avian version of a baby learning how to crawl/walk so there are new things to explore( and get into trouble , haha)

Edit: just texted the breeder , and Molly hatched around the end of July, so she is around 4 months old now.

Reactions: cath and Tinsnips

·
Super Moderator
26,043 Posts
Thanks,
Diabetes is a out of the blue new thing for mom.
The good thing is that it was discovered during the leg/toes circulation checks/tests.
It also explains mom’s overall feeling and her recent appearance of “memory” losses/lapses. We were afraid she was going downhill mentally/memory-wise “on its own” , when a great part of how she was feeling and acting was due to the glucose levels.
Today’s FB pics of Molly don’t really show her true colors , and size. She is larger in person AND the same size as her brother , just weird pic perception.
Shelby was 16 and she went into ketoacidosis and her sugar over a 1000, she spent a week in intensive care and it turned out to be late onset diabetes. She is 30 now and on a insulin pump. Nothing to play with. Glad they caught it.

·
Administrator
17,221 Posts
WOW......take my Boy out shooting for a few hours AND ALL THIS! God to hear Mom is home Jeff, and a finger has been put on the issues....THAT'S A GREAT STEP! 👍 Not getting antsy yet are you Jeff for having a new 'conversationalist' at home are you? UP!😁

Raw fish.......THAT'S a technicality....I love a good Tuna Salad sandwich, but sushi, or fish off the fin....uhhhh NO!
Jen and Hack suck THAT stuff up faster than a hoover when we hit the Chinese buffet.

Doug I'm never quite ready to give up my summer stuff.....flip flops have snow treads on them......and our Hawaiian shirts allow us to not get hit by any snow plows.😁

Ironically Rick I'm not manic over fresh fish......Star List/Bumble Bee tuna is my preference. I do love sea food, COOKED, and I can live on fresh clams on the half shell.......but favorites are the nice healthy DEEP FRIED stuff.

Man everyone posting around old slow poke me...better go and do some reading,
Peace,
Hack

·
Administrator
17,221 Posts
Had a nice Daddy/Son day out today with Hack. Polished off our Belly Busters at the dinner......barely! Then went past the outdoor range for some 'who's the best .22 shot' shooting today, but was packed. So went home and grabbed different armament and headed to Shooter's, my Brother Hack's place.....they accommodated us with some indoor range pistol time....NOT a huge fan of indoor ranges....,too loud, and too close to folks I DON"T KNOW that have a gun in their hands...,.spiddy senses get to jumping. But we had a blast.....burnt up some FREE .38 spl. and 9mm.....heck, they wouldn't even let me pay for the targets. Just winks and nods.....and go have funs.
Vision care Sunglasses Sleeve Goggles Eyewear

Joint Shoulder Sleeve Standing Gesture

Hand Sleeve Gesture Electric blue Fashion design

Raise em up right, and only the 'toys' change, the Boy is still your' Son! Well size changes too...6'1" 235 lbs.....and YES, that is a pony tail.....discovered just this past week it keeps the hair out of his eyes when he's shooting. And YES they are 'pork chops' you see on his face. Our little Boy is growing up....gonna be 16 next month.,

You'll also notice his 'anti snow plow' attire as well. Sticks out like a sore thumb in a snow storm!
Grooviness,
Hack

·
Super Moderator
26,043 Posts
Talking to Kristine, she wants to cancel Atlanta trip. She wants to go around December to Albuquerque to visit her mom and brother. I can’t say no to that. So in order to save money she want to cancel Atlanta

21 - 36 of 36 Posts