The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
17,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...here I am on TRT...


Coffee in hand.

Curious, I have had the worst headache this past evening and this morning (to the point that I cannot sleep). No beer, No alcohol at all, plenty of caffeine yesterday. HOWEVER, contrary to my usual precautions of cutting Zooanthids with gloves on, I did it without gloves yesterday, got a little tingle from them in the fingertips, and this dull headache all evening last night (and I NEVER get headaches)

Has anyone else had similar experiences after cutting up zooanthid mats?
 

·
Ughhh.. Dinoflagelettes..
Joined
·
1,262 Posts
No, I've never cut Zoo's... but I have gotten headaches from not getting enough caffeine...


**Still haven't gone to sleep yet... maybe I'll hit the rack in half an hour.... :-/ **
 

·
One Happy Member
Joined
·
874 Posts
Morning, I have had the same experience as Buzz. About 12 hours after having caffiene, I can count on a headache.

HOmer
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
22,401 Posts
Mornin All!
4 midders down , one to go!
time to wash da truck, go up north for my oldest godsons b-day party. then back home ,and knock out some w/c's , then work again fer one more,,,,,
everyone have a great day!:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,588 Posts
What species?

Palytoxin-like secondary compounds are pretty ubiquitous to some extent in zoanthids. Most people that encounter them are sensitive to some degree. Heck, you may be sensitive to the venom in the nematocysts. Rest assured, they can penetrate your skin, especially the back side of the finger.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
27,666 Posts
Ewwwww, Tom! That's awful. Guess we need to be more careful with tank work :( Hope you get some relief for your head ache.


Was that the wake up call?

Good Mawnin' TRT!!!!! I gotta get rollin' off to church in a sec or two.

This afternoon I'm in a local production of South Pacific. Just a walk on this time, but I'm an islander, so I need lots of makeup to give me the glow of Horge ;)

Lots of love and hugs to everyone.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18,603 Posts
Tom be careful that is a classic example of polytoxin ingestion and one of the first reactions in sensitive people.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
22,401 Posts
cath said:

so I need lots of makeup to give me the glow of Horge ;)
Now THAT i gotta see!
as a prime violator of the "Tell ya things ,but no pics group":p
don't fall into the ranks of scrubs like me,,,
pics!pics!pics!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,816 Posts
Good Morning TRT!

Tom I hope you feel better soon. I have heard about zoo's doing that to people!

Well it's a sunny morning here in Montana but cool! Will be running off to big Wal-Mart in a few for some groceries! I have been eating alot less but seems I still go to the store as often! HHHHHHHHmmmmmmm!!:)

Been going through a big algae bloom with the new lighting system but think it is starting to settle down now! All the fun we have with our love and joy hobby!!:D

I hope we all have a nice Sunday and take a minute and thank the good Lord for your good health and loving families!:)
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
22,401 Posts
Tom, bummer on how your feelin', hope ya feel better,,;)
as a dude in da Pharm biz,,,you might want to check out these new things out there,,,,,,surgical gloves!
heck i work as a steel mill Electrician,and i use them,,mainly to keep my fangers clean, plus to keep a extra dry layer between me,my linesman gloves AND 138,000 VOLTS!:eek:
but my tank scares me the most,,,i just remedied my problem in my 75, was getting nailed everytime i put a hand in,,,no leakage, most likely tracking,,,, wet wiped the light power cables clean , and changed the power strip ,,,,,,NO millivolts on the meter,,,:dance:
hope u feel better,,,,
ah, the perils of a coral surgeon,,,,:)
 

·
Little fish in a big pond
Joined
·
5,916 Posts
Hey Tom - when you come to get the salt, perhaps I can interest you in a pair of AQUA-GLOVES? :eek:

(Still assuming you're coming down today - there's a truckload of salt here for you! :funny: )

Jenn
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,074 Posts
mornin all. i spent the day yesterday between finding nemo, and goign to my aunts for my cousins graduation party. we jsut partied all day playin volleyball and eaten food :rolleyes:

today looks like we may have some sunshine, so i'm hoping to get some work done o nthe stand.

tom... you know it may not have been the zoos at all. it COULD have been caused just from being around one of the brw's all day (ie: cath) lol :funny:

hope it's nothing serious and you feel better soon!

havea great day everyone
 

·
Little fish in a big pond
Joined
·
5,916 Posts
thefatman
Senior Member

Registered: Feb 2003
Posts: 1508
Location: Toledo, Ohio

Zoiks, Jay -- you're about to overtake the number of posts I've got -- and I've been here 3 years! You've been here 3 MONTHS :eek:

(Wow - and folks say *I* talk a lot!)

Jenn
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,074 Posts
:funny: :funny: :funny:

yep i've got quantity.. but you have quality :)
 

·
Little fish in a big pond
Joined
·
5,916 Posts
Heh flattery will get you everywhere ;)

:funny:

Jenn
 

·
TRT Staff The Mominator
Joined
·
10,503 Posts
Morning folks!

I wish I could have slept in myself, but I have to go to work in a bit for a few hours. Yuck!

We went to the parade last night, which was fun but more crowded than I've ever seen it, so coming home was a bear. We take public transpo for events like this but it was so packed that we walked a mile to catch a bus away from the crowd and then had to walk another mile after we got off the bus. Ah well, excersise is good for you....my feet however, don't agree with that this morning, LOL.

Tom, I am about the most guilty person I know for not wearing gloves...have fragged mucho zoos and have YET to have a reaction. (Alice knocking on head ;) ) If you aren't feeling better soon, you know the drill....

Enjoy your Sunday everyone!

Alice
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,816 Posts
I'm with you Alice on handling things in my reef without gloves unless I know for sure I will get stung!(at least I thought I did:( )

I have boxes of plastic gloves here at home and they collect dust quite well!:rolleyes: Maybe I should use some once in awhile!;)

Hang in there Tom!:)

Side Note: I went to Ace Hardware this morning after grocery shopping and this is what I got for attaching things in my reef:

1. Devcon 5 Minute Epoxy(Two tubes-Epoxy and Epoxy Hardener).

2. Duro Quick Gel No-Run Super Glue. Contains Cyanoacrylate!

Any Pros or Cons on my choices! Thanks!:D
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
27,666 Posts
Update, Tom! Update! We wanna know how you're feeling.
 

·
Little fish in a big pond
Joined
·
5,916 Posts
I was expecting to see Tom today, I've got his salt order -- I hope he's OK too.... I certainly won't be bugged if he isn't feeling up to coming down here but I'm a bit worried about him now.

Jenn
 

·
Banggai Mommy
Joined
·
2,395 Posts
Good, er, afternoon!

Gr... What is it with guys beating up their girlfriends this weekend!?! I just got back from the hospital - again. 5th call this weekend already, and I'm still on for another 17 hours. This is crazy.

Tom, I hope you're feeling ok. I've got some zoos that look an awful lot like Palythoas... I don't frag them. I actually avoid them. (They were hitchhikers) I figure I've got enough to worry about with the Diadema urchins. ;) Besides, they aren't pretty polyps.

Danielle
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top