The Reef Tank banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently spoke with a guy who has been reefing for nearly 14 years and had some very impressive live-stock in his 245 g custom in wall tank. Among reeefing, in-door gardening sparked his interest several years ago. When questioning him on his choice of lighting he told me he used to be a strictly metal hallide fan until he found and bought high pressure sodium lighting. He said since his plantlife responded so much better to these bulbs rather than MH he tried them on his reef and hasn't used MH since. Is there any merit in what he is saying? I have yet to come across anyone posting the use of High pressure sodium bulbs so I have no idea! If any one has heard about this let me know. Also; instead of spending hundreds of dollars on a 275w Mh system, you can buy Sun System hydroponic green hous grow lights for much less. The maximizer system with 400w MH, x-ballast,and adjustable maximizer reflector tp spread the light in your tank for only 129.99. a 1000w MH system goes for 199.99. Are these the same MH's used for reef tanks? hope so (MUCH CHEAPER)Check out this sight and let me know...http://www.hydroponics.net/

·
Registered
778 Posts
hps doesn't work well for plant life under water, the red spectrum produced by the hps is refracted away, while the blue portion of the spectrum sneeks by, unfornately, hps is most orange/red, and very little blue. so the hps is best used on plants that live above ground, and not under water. blue spectrum is more benefitial since photosythesis is more active under this portion of the spectrum, while chlorosynthesis is more active under the red portion of the spectrum.
hope this helps!
:ccol:

·
Registered
771 Posts
What is the difference between photosythesis and chlorosynthesis?

Thanks!
Dennis

·
Ughhh.. Dinoflagelettes..
1,262 Posts
Chlorosynthesis is only refered to in Marijuana growing and not found in Meriam Websters dictionary....

Perhaps it's a clandestine pre-established term programmed into Echelon to help catch the growers... ;)

·
Registered
778 Posts
huh? i believe chlorosynthesis is performed by all plant life that contians a chloroform in its nuclei. photosythesis is the plants abiltiy to absord photonic energy to convert nutrients into usable foods and such. chlorosysnthesis, is the abilty of the plant to divided its cells for growth and repair.
unfortunatately, my search on the internet, returned many websites that were "restricted" (i'm at work), but that doesn't mean that chlorosynthesis is cannabis sp. specific., its just tells me that that there are alot of curious gardeners with a tie-dye green thumb and red eyes ;)
:cool:

·
1,262 Posts
Don't take my word for it......

The word you've entered isn't in the dictionary. Click on a spelling suggestion below or try again using the Dictionary search box to the right.

Suggestions for chlorosynthesis:
1. chlorothiazides
2. chlorobenzenes
3. coreligionists
4. cursorinesses
5. cross-linkages
6. clumsinesses
7. secularizations
8. circularises
9. cowardlinesses
10. canorousnesses

·
Registered
778 Posts
whateva (is that in the dictonary?), the correct spelling is chloro synthesis. and the chloroform is use to reference the chlorophyll in a plant. fini.
:cool:

·
1,262 Posts
The word you've entered isn't in the dictionary. Click on a spelling suggestion below or try again using the Dictionary search box to the right.

Suggestions for chloro synthesis:
1. chlorothiazides
2. chlorobenzenes
3. coreligionists
4. cursorinesses
5. cross-linkages
6. clumsinesses
7. secularizations
8. circularises
9. cowardlinesses
10. canorousnesses

One entry found for photosynthesis.

Main Entry: pho·to·syn·the·sis
Pronunciation: -'sin(t)-th&-s&s
Function: noun
Etymology: New Latin
Date: 1898
: synthesis of chemical compounds with the aid of radiant energy and especially light; especially : formation of carbohydrates from carbon dioxide and a source of hydrogen (as water) in the chlorophyll -containing tissues of plants exposed to light
- pho·to·syn·the·size /-"sIz/ intransitive verb
- pho·to·syn·thet·ic /-sin-'the-tik/ adjective
- pho·to·syn·thet·i·cal·ly /-ti-k(&-)lE/ adverb

Main Entry: 1chlo·ro·form
Pronunciation: 'klOr-&-"form, 'klor-
Function: noun
Etymology: French chloroforme, from chlor- + formyle formyl; from its having been regarded as a trichloride of this group
Date: 1838
: a colorless volatile heavy toxic liquid CHCl3 with an ether odor used especially as a solvent or as a veterinary anesthetic

Main Entry: 2chloroform
Function: transitive verb
Date: 1848
: to treat with or as if with chloroform especially so as to produce anesthesia, insensibility , or death

1 - 9 of 9 Posts