The Reef Tank banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok does any one know if its normal for sun corals to change there shape. Because mine is deforming itself from a roundish shape to an all uneven looking shape.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Sun corals are normally a thin orange tissue over a cylinder shaped skeleton. I good way to check health is to make sure that all the polups are extended, this usually is best seen at nigh after lights out. Another ways is to check if thier is any tissue starting to receed. Remeber (if you dont already know) that the polups are individual and need to be feed that way.

hope it helps

mike

·
Registered
395 Posts
that and when the polyps retract sometimes they get an odd looking shape to them but I havent had any ill effects from them doing this. mine do it all the time here is a pic of them. but like mojo said they have to be individually feed the best way that I have (and many others) is a 2 liter coke bottle with the bottom cut off and add the food into the bottle while its over the polyps so the other fish dont steal the food.
Mike

BTW glad your stayin :dance:

·
Registered
395 Posts
mine stay this way all the time and they are feed alot I dont use the bottle now because they are in an area of the tank that the get feed everytime I feed the tank. and the just keep getting bigger and bigger. they look longer than what they are though the rock they are on is at an angle.
Mike

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Hey Mike have you had a new ones start(sun coral)? I have a single one and it is doing great and keep it well fed so hoping some more will show up!:)

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It looks alot nicer than mine but I am still nursing mine considering it was damaged. Heres a pic of what mine looks like.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts