The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to find out how many success stories there are of keeping sun coral. I know it needs to be feed everday, but it seems to never come out. I know, he's only been in the tank for about 4 days now, but the most I ever see of him is right after the lights go out in the evening. Any suggestions to keep the new addition live and happy?

LS

·
Premium Member
14,532 Posts
That is normal for sun corals They can be trained to open during the day but they are nocturnal for the most part

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
:D

what Kelli said holds tre for most of thes corals, including the related Tubastrea that are photosynthetic. They will usually only extend their polyps at night, although over time if you feed the same time daily after chumming the water, they will open in anticipation of a feeding before the end of the photoperiod.

·
Super Moderator
10,751 Posts
I use frozen cyclopese or Mysis Shrimp for feeding all the inhabitants of my tank. I have noticed that if I mix what I plan to feed and put a small amount in the tank and then wait for about 10 minutes before adding the rest, everything is out including my Sun Corals.

·
Registered
307 Posts
if I could go back in time I wish someone would have punch me in the face and mugged me for the $60 right before I went in the LFS to buy my suncoral.

i'm all about putting the time into my tank.... but having to handfeed each polyp 3 times a week, now thats just a big pain-in-the-*** chore after your "honeymoon-feelings" for the thing fades away. dumbest LFS purchase I had ever made....

repost in 3 months and tell us how you like owning own.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts