The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have a 45 gallon folr system and was just running fluval 404. Decided to go to sump made one out of 20 gallong long. Using the rio 2500 return pump and corallife 125 skimmer. My question is since the tank is already full and cannot drill. I am using my fluval 404 with the cannister empty as means to pull the water from the tank to the sump. Is this an ok design, should I anticipate any problems? I've heard horror stories about siphon overflows. I did a power off test and no spillage.

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
A disaster in the making... You can never precisely match the drain vs. return so a flood is imminent;)

·
Cube Keeper
252 Posts
+1

Very dangerous design, eventually, in the middle of the night, at the worst possible moment, there will be water everywhere. Just not worth it. Since drilling is not an option, I would use a U-Tube overflow, or a CPR overflow. They both hang on the back of the aquarium and drain the water via a siphon. The CPR overflows have a port for an aqualifter pump. That pump can restart the overflow on the chance that the siphon break during a power outage.

Don

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all. So I broke down and bought the overflow box! AMazing how well it works. Ok forgive me but one more question. I plubmbed it all with 1" PVC and a shut off however It is loud, the water coming from the overflow to the sump. Can I put the pipe directly in the water to the sump or does it need be out of the water some and dump in?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts