The Reef Tank banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok So I have the sump portion working, I will finish the refuge portion this weekend. I am curious if the water in my sump is too high? When I turn the main pump off and the water drains back into the sump, I still have about 1-2 inches from the top free. What do you guys think? Also will the hieght effect my skimmer? It seems my skimmer fills the cup up every couple hours.

Attachments

·
Registered
658 Posts
As long as your sump holds all the water that drains from your tank then the height should be fine.
You may have to adjust the skimmer so that it gets drier skimmate, but I wouldn't know specifically how to do it for yours.
Lookin good though! :beer:

Happy 4th.

·
Registered
146 Posts
The higher the water level in your sump the greater the pressure is on the seams of your sump. From the picture it looks as if there is no top ring around your sump to keep the seams aligned. So the only thing keeping your sump together is you tank sealer.

I would lower the level of water to keep the pressure on the seams reduced. This will also offer you a greater safety range when the tank drains into the sump.

·
Ughhh.. Dinoflagelettes..
1,262 Posts
ya see the 3 baffles on the right side of the tank???

The water shouldn't be above the top of the highest one when running....

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
you need to adjust that skimmer that is to wet need it to be dryer foam:)

·
Administrator
47,660 Posts
Yes in order to work it has to be low enough that water is forced to go over,under,over. IME it looks like they could be a bit higher

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
The height of the water column in the sump will affect the height of the wawter column in the skimmer. You will loose the adjustability for the skimmer with the water height as high as it is in the sump. Either drop the level in the sump, or move the skimmer to outside the sump to regain this function. outside the sump you'll be able to control the water column height by gradually closing the water exit valve on the skimmer. The higher the water level, the wetter your skimmate will be (also partially controlled by the amount of air you introduce).

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
that does not look like the pic you posted yesterday for your new sump plan.:) i thought those baffles were going to be 10" high, they do not look that high to me now. also the baffles are in a different order. the first baffle should be the higher one, forcing the water through from below first. this lower water generally contains less bubbles, is this not why we are trying this new sump.:)

the water level needs to be lowered like Buzz suggests. this should be done before any adjustments are made to the skimmer. like Tom said the water level in the sump will have a huge effect on how the skimmer wll behave.

hth,

G~

·
Registered
249 Posts
If there is enough water in your sump to overflow your main tank, then yes, the water is to high.

Aviod that possibility all together.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts