The Reef Tank banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this and in the research phase of setting up my first reef tank. Is there a rule of thumb to use on the size of the sump tank? ie should be half the size of the display tank etc? also are there companyies that sell prefabed sump tanks?

·
Registered
7,938 Posts
I don't know if there is a rule of thumb on sumps, if for no other reason than the fact that there have been success stories on a wide range of sizes. I use a 55 gallon tank as a sump for my 180, which is about 30% of the size of the show tank. In general, try to use the biggest sump you can (increase water volume = increased stability= GOOD).

You may want to look at a regular tank as a sump, versus the prefab, but that is just my personal preference. :)

Good luck, and a w000000000000t! for you for doing research first! :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
Baffles and dividers are very important:

There stop bubbles from getting into your return pump so as not to create micro bubble issues and they help to keep water levels constant in certain compartments like one that houses the skimmer. Also the help to create a settling zone for detritus as well.

As for the size of the sump. The bigger the better. I have seen some with sumps as big as their display!

The more room the easier it is to clean and maintain and upgrade things if needed!

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
:blob: Welcome as well!:thumbup:

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
Welcome to TRT!!!

:wavey:

i have a 50g rubbermaid feeding trough as a sump for my 125g tank. it does not need to be a prefab sump, nor does it need to be shaped like a tank. anything that holds water can be used as a sump. i do not have any traditional baffles in my sump. i just use a some 2" PVC pipe and an elbow to pull water from the far end of the sump from where the skimmer and the drain from the tank are. baffels are used for microbubble control mainly. they can also be used for water height control for the skimmer.

G~

·
Registered
7,938 Posts
jeffseal said:
how important are the baffles and dividers in the sump tank?
Well, for one, they help keep microbubbles at bay. Are you planning a refugium in your sump? Are you planning on putting your skimmer and heater in it? Or am I jumping the gun?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
definitly putting the skimmer and heater in it..... Not 100% sure on the refugium i am still researching this... Is this just an extra "compartment" in the sump with a light to grow bacteria? which "compartment" would the live rock go in? Also what is the best way to put baffles in a glass tank. I am thinking i may buy a 75ish gallon reef tank use the sand and live rock in my new 150 gallon tank and turn the 75 gallon into the sump. I would use a rubber maid bin or trashcan until i could get the 75 all cleaned out and but the baffles in it... If i use glass baffles and glue them in what kind of glue do you use and how precise does the glass have to be cut? can you glue plexi to glass?

·
Registered
107 Posts
What ever size you go with you need to have enough room to handle any drain back from the main tank during a power outage.
Bigger is better IMO, extra water volume is a big deal, easy to work in the sump when larger.
Silicon can be used to hold the glass baffles in place. I just used Allglass silicon to put plexi glass baffles in a 30 I turned into a sump. Some say that the plexi will not bond well with glass long term?? I guess I will see.
In a tank that large baffles may not be needed... My buddy has a 75 as his sump on a 180 and he just used a plastic bucket to raise the skimmer up in the sump to the hight it needed to be at. The return pump is not near the skimmer or tank returns and he has no micro bubble issues. Post some pics of the tank when you start the project..

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
seaham358 said:
I just used Allglass silicon to put plexi glass baffles in a 30 I turned into a sump. Some say that the plexi will not bond well with glass long term?? I guess I will see.
Same here with my sump...made out of a 29 gallon tank! I used an under-over-under design out of .25" thick acrylic sheet.

Here is a pic

Attachments

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
silly cone will not bond to acrylic under pressure. you can get away with it in a sump if the water is fairly equal on both sides of the baffle. it is also a good idea to great oversized beads all around the acrylic baffle to be safe.

G~

·
11,345 Posts

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
how do you know where to place the baffles? I'm still toying with this myself.

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
Depends on what is going in there, what water evaporation rate is like.

Basically you want a chamber that will fit the skimmer and one that will fit the return pump. In between is empty space for extra volume or fudge if you so like.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts