The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok folks,

As you might know, I bought a 55g tank for a sump just to realize that it was too tall. In the meantime I would like to set-up something for a temporary fix until I can make a trip out of town to get a 30 long or something similar. I can't afford an acrylic sump like I would like to have (but I dont' really need since my pump is submersed).

What I am wondering is who here is using rubbermaids or tuperware for sumps? How hard is it to get a good seal on a bulkhead? Which type of rubbermaid is safe? SKU's from walmart would be helpful here.

I am figuring I need 3 of them. 1 for the skimmer/heater, one for the return, and one for the refugium? I may hold off on the fuge until I get something a little more permanent?

Any suggestions? (Suggestions that don't involve BRW vs J Crowd, or pictures of your cars please!) :)

Thanks
Dave

·
A goof
2,923 Posts
Many people just use regular tote size containers, whatever will fit into your stand. I beleive that gray and yellow is food safe but I don't know how much that makes a difference.

HTH

Jon

·
Registered
479 Posts
We are using a 13 gallong rubbermaid trash can as an extra sump/water container. We made our own bulkhead with PVC plumbing from Home Depot (they no longer carry bulkeads). We just used a peice of rubber car mat between the PVC and the can on both sides and it is working really well.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
dave, if your pump will be submersed, why the need for a bulkhead? or are you planning on connecting the mulitple units together?

if you do put on bulkheads, i would say the seal will be jsut as good as it would on glass or acrylic. the seal is made by the rubber gasket that is part of the bulkhead, and the tightening ring on the outside. heck you could get a good seal on paper....for a while :funny:

rubbermaids come in so many sizes it's not funny, i'm betting yo ucan find one that will fit under the stand and be the size you need to do everything. but you may want to keep the fuge separate, since you dont want as much flow through the fuge as you do through the sump.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I need to attach the two units to keep the microbubbles from the urchin out of the mag return.....unless you dont' think the urchin will toss out that many bubbles.

dave

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
oh, i'm guessing it will. i see what your getting at now. because it's a rubebrmaid, you wont easily be able to partition off the inside, like you would with a tank and using acrylic or glass sheets.

yup, i'd go with two or three connected then. you might also put some sort of filter media infront of the exit from the sump container. and make sure to put the bulkhead as low as possible, imo, since the bubble will rise :)

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Exactly I can't think of a good way to partition the tubs, so instead three tubs with one bulkhead in each. The one between the skimmer and the return will be as low as possible....and I will probably do some sort of filter media. the one on the refugium will be up higher to keep the water level acceptable.

Where does everyone buy their bulkheads.

Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts