The Reef Tank banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 36 gallon bowfront and i have decided to put in a 10 gallon sump. I have a 300 gph overflow box and am wondering what size return pump I should go with. I know that it has to be larger than 300 but I'm not sure HOW much. The pump will be around 4 ft below the top of my display tank and i plan on using 3/4" PVC. It's pretty much a straight shot to the top of my tank, only 1 or 2 slight turns.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I think you might be a bit confused here, or I could be reading your info wrong. If your overflow is rated for 300gph, you don't want a pump that will be more than that, or else the overflow couldn't handle it. Right? There are charts available online for different ft. of head and how it affects the gph, if thats what your asking about.

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
I had a decent little pump that I use to use that was made by Hydor that was fairly inexpensive... but what type of budget are we talking here?

Hydor Seltz L30 ~$50 shipped
Eheim 1250 ~$100 shipped

My preference would be Eheim, as they are just about bulletproof, but the littel hydor pump works well :)

Oh yeah, you don't want to use any of the pumps from Lowe's or HD unless you are 100% sure they are saltwater safe ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts