The Reef Tank banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im currently setting up a sump and i cant really find an answer for my question, maybe im just missing the obvious or someting:doh: i just got my return pump (lifegard quiet one 1200) and it has a diameter of 3/4" inch. i need to know a good way to get the water back from the sump? i only have about 3 feet of height. i know some people use flexible tubing, but its ridiculously expensive so is there a way i can just do it with pvc? also, im going to sound like an idiot trying to explain this, but what is that black thing that angles the water from the return hose back into the display tank called? it can angle the flow, and it looks like a flat nozzle kind of....ill try to find a picture.
thanks for any answers

btw my tank is not drilled

·
Registered
549 Posts
On my 135g I used pvc. I just came up over the top of the tank. I capped the lines off and cut horizontal slits in the caps so the water would spray out in a fan pattern at or just below water level.

I think you referring to a "duck bill"

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the answer, ill jut be going with pvc since it's a lot cheaper than the flexible tubing. i found a video on youtube of a guy with a similar part to the one i tried to describe, i took a screen shot of it

·
Bob
310 Posts
For the short run you are looking at, the difference in cost of a piece of plastic tubing versus pvc is extremely small. I would think maybe a buck or two at the most and you have how many dollars invested in your tank so far? The advantage of the flexible piece of plastic tubing is that it can be attached with hose clamps which are easy to remove if you wish to remove the pump and clean it. I have done that several times already. If you use pvc, you have to glue the joints since they will be under pressure and therefore pretty much permanent.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
if i went with the flexible tubing, would i need the inside or outside diameter to be 3/4"?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes haha. ive decided to spend the few extra dollars on the flexible tubing, so how will i attach it to the pump? with some kind of glue, or is that what the hose clamps do? sorry im an extreme newbie at this sump plumbing :/

·
Bob
310 Posts
You slip the flexible tube around the hose barb on the pump. Inside diameter of the tube needs to be about the same (or a little less) than the hose barb. Then put the hose clamp on the joint and tighten. If confused, ask your local hardware store ( or LFS ) to show you. Have attached picture of my connection at base of tank. Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
that made things a lot clearer:) thanks for all the help, i'll be stopping by at lowes to get the parts soon.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts