The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have a pre drilled tank but would like to use a sump. Are the over flow boxes safe to use, or what happens when the power goes off and the sifen is lost.
Do I need the sump in the first place. I'm getting conflicted advise and need to narrow it down. My tank is a 1 week old reef tank.

· Registered
178 Posts
you have a 1 week old reef tank? I made my overflow out of pvc but this is becasue I am a plumber. not sure about the overflow boxes other than they are expensive. you get a big enough sump to accomadate for the extra water volume and drill a small hole under the water level on the return side to break the siphon aswell

· Premium Member
34,741 Posts
it is important because it allows you to get larger skimmers, and hide other equipment in the sump instead of the display. do you have to have sump in order to have a reef tank, no. they just make things easier. it is just another tool.

G~

· Registered
50 Posts
I'm no way an expert, but I do currently use the HOB skimmer and this is my experience and thoughts on it:

There are a few factors to consider when wondering if you need a sump. You can get decent HOB skimmers (Octopus), but what i've seen nothing compares to the skimmers you can put in a sump. Do you currently use a skimmer? What's your current filtration like? It's very convenient to hide your heater and skimmer down below, and you can also knock out 2 birds with 1 stone and incorporate a refugium (don't burn me Geoff) if you so please. They make for a very appealing tank.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.