The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yes i am building a sump, i found a tank that could fit my stand due to a divider in the middle of the stand the previous owner installed i had to go with a small tank. 20x10x18 i think 16gal, so my space is very limmited. dose anyone have advice on how far apart the baffles need to be? and if i can use a under,over,under desighn to reduce too fast of a flow or should i stay with the "U" over,under,over? thanks for reading

·
Registered
814 Posts
i dont see how you think changing that will affect flow rate? the baffles will still be the same height and will still overflow at the same point and such.... the under over under will be better for reduction of bubbles after skimmer if you need that....

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
The point of spacing the baffles further apart is to reduce the velocity through the bubble trap.

FWIW, I have only ever used 2 baffles in an over-under configuration, and never had bubbles make it through the trap. The baffles work best abut 1.5-2" apart and the under baffle needs to be about the same off of the bottom.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the two baffles is going to be my plan also and 1.5" apart would be ideal for space limits. this dose not cause problems cleaning or maint? have you heard any issues having a sump with more heighth than length? thanks for the replys

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
do you have any bubble problems? my worrie is i am planning to use a siphen* overflow and i dont want bubbles in it to stop the siphen...

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
Im confused on what you are asking here. The baffles in the sump should not affect the overflow...

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
Adam, that would be affirmative, yes, the closer the baffles are together, the faster the water travels through them...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts