The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
depends on what your using it for, but generally yes, since your probably putting your skimmer in there, it has to have a constant water level to work best, thats at least one baffle, and if you want to keep bubbles out of your display, a couple more baffles, but thats the bare minimum, if your just using it for a heater and to add water volume i guess you can get away without them.

·
Registered
12,082 Posts
abong said:
so when i drain the water from my display tank into the sump, the part i drain it into is where the skimmer goes? then baffels, then the return pump?
Generaly that is how most people set them up. This is the one i plan on making when ever i get around to ordering some acrylic. By all means you can have a sump without baffles but you might have tons of bubbles in your tank.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
tim has it, that is about the simplest setup you want to go for. any thing else and your skimmer can get silly on ya (depending on the brand), your water level in the sump will only change in the chamber with the return pump too. thats a good thing.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
yes, but you can reverse it.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Trust me on this, a sump without baffles is a bubble making machine. I've got a tank that I've been slowly rebuilding the sump on, and right now, there are no baffles and man can it produce some bubbles.

In the tank sump I just built for my new tank, the first chamber always looks like it's just got tons of debris floating in it, but really, it's just the bubbles from the drain and the skimmer. once it gets past the first baffle, the water is crystal clear.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts