The Reef Tank banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Perfeshunal Hikk
11,076 Posts
Do you have any pictures of your attempts so far? The sump typically sits below the tank. The return pump is plumbed back into the tank so that it can pump water from the sump back into the tank. Then the overflow is setup to drain to the sump.

What have tried or done so far?

· Registered
123 Posts
We really cannot help you unless you provide some visual feedback or a discription of your exact problem. Hey ODH, have you ever hear of the MegaFlow sump filter. Drs Foster and Smith sells them. I was wondering about your opinion. I was thinking of switching from my Oceanic reef ready sump 1. your thoughts would be appreciated.

· Perfeshunal Hikk
11,076 Posts
We really cannot help you unless you provide some visual feedback or a discription of your exact problem. Hey ODH, have you ever hear of the MegaFlow sump filter. Drs Foster and Smith sells them. I was wondering about your opinion. I was thinking of switching from my Oceanic reef ready sump 1. your thoughts would be appreciated.
Make you a deal, you don't call me ODH and I won't ignore you in the future.

I have seen the MegaFlow sumps but you are better off simply getting a stock aquarium and building your own sump. Skip the bioballs, put the baffles where you want them instead of where MegaFlow thinks they should be. The model 1 has the same basic footprint as a 10 gallon tank but about twice as tall. Thats not much of a sump. Finding the biggest stock tank that will fit in your stand, and build a sump out of it.

· Registered
123 Posts
I promise not to call you ---, was not meant to be offensive. I thought of building a sump but I have no clue of how to. The Oceanic Reef ready sump 1 that I have is extremly noisey and cannot handle the Mag 9.5 pump that I run. I thought of the Megaflow 3 which looked like a good piece.

· Perfeshunal Hikk
11,076 Posts
How much room do you have in your stand? If you emptied it completely out, how big is it? Then you find a "regular" fish tank (not drilled) that will fit in it. Then you add the baffles where you want, and you have a sump.

Trying to take what you can buy pre-made and make it work doesn't work well. What you buy pre-made is what someone at a desk thought you might need, not what you really need.

· Perfeshunal Hikk
11,076 Posts
Any glass shop. Home Depot, Lowes, Menards (not sure what they have in AZ) but any home improvement store should carry it and be able to cut it for you. Then its just GE silicone that you can get at the home improvement store as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.