The Reef Tank banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok well i need some sump help again. Now that the new tank is all set up i have been looking into finally putting in a sump. But heres the thing I can only fit a 10g in there because of the way the stand is built. How can i effectively make something work?

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
That depends on many things. Will you use an in sump skimmer? What kind of top off system will you use....manual? automatic?
If you only have space for a 10 gallon I would consider eliminating the skimmer all together. The benfits of a sump are: greater water volume, convenient water heater placement,
convenient chiller coil placement, convenient controller probe placement, etc. A 10 gallon sump may provide some of these benefits but may not be worth the extra cost/work.

If you do go with a 10 gallon sump, I would make it as deep as possible via a custom acrylic DIY design so that you can put as much
water over the return pum intake so that the pump does not suck air all the time.

xrobbx03 said:
Ok well i need some sump help again. Now that the new tank is all set up i have been looking into finally putting in a sump. But heres the thing I can only fit a 10g in there because of the way the stand is built. How can i effectively make something work?

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chuck Spyropulos said:
That depends on many things. Will you use an in sump skimmer? What kind of top off system will you use....manual? automatic?
If you only have space for a 10 gallon I would consider eliminating the skimmer all together. The benfits of a sump are: greater water volume, convenient water heater placement,
convenient chiller coil placement, convenient controller probe placement, etc. A 10 gallon sump may provide some of these benefits but may not be worth the extra cost/work.

If you do go with a 10 gallon sump, I would make it as deep as possible via a custom acrylic DIY design so that you can put as much
water over the return pum intake so that the pump does not suck air all the time.
I wanted to use the ASM G Mini in the sump for a skimmer. I barely fit the 10g under the stand. I was going to try a 20H but seems like the extra 4 inches that it is it wont fit. Another thing too is that if i have a overflow rated for 600gph that would put way to much flow into the refugium area.

What i was thinking but i dunno if it would work would get an external skimmer (one not in the sump or HOB) have the overflow go right into the skimmer and make it so that the overflow rating would be great enough to run the skimmer then have the outlet of the skimmer drop into the refugium and then through a baffle where the return pump would be. I would but a ball valve on the overflow going into the skimmer so just in case of an power outage i could stop the flow. I would pretty much almost fill the 10g to its capacity in the refugium area and have it 3/4 of the way to the top for the return pump.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Sump

I would not advise doing the sump in this manner.....almost filled to the top. If there is a power outage and no one is home, the sump will flood and cause water damage to your home. I would recommend ommitting the sump and going with an external skimmer if you don't have the room for a larger/deeper sump with extra capacity to contain the extra water during a power outage.

xrobbx03 said:
I wanted to use the ASM G Mini in the sump for a skimmer. I barely fit the 10g under the stand. I was going to try a 20H but seems like the extra 4 inches that it is it wont fit. Another thing too is that if i have a overflow rated for 600gph that would put way to much flow into the refugium area.

What i was thinking but i dunno if it would work would get an external skimmer (one not in the sump or HOB) have the overflow go right into the skimmer and make it so that the overflow rating would be great enough to run the skimmer then have the outlet of the skimmer drop into the refugium and then through a baffle where the return pump would be. I would but a ball valve on the overflow going into the skimmer so just in case of an power outage i could stop the flow. I would pretty much almost fill the 10g to its capacity in the refugium area and have it 3/4 of the way to the top for the return pump.

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well heres another thought im just shooting another idea out there. Since i cant get one big whole tank in there. What about some kind of custom job. Bare with me im trying to be creative here.

Ok so it starts with the overflow lets say rated for 600 gph which drops into the 10g tank which enters first and area for the skimmer which is little less than 3/4 full then another baffle where it enters to be the refugium which would be half filled of the 10g. From there have the side drilled for a bulkhead which would flow into a 5 gal tank where the water level is just sufficient enough to have a return pump function without sucking air.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
External skimmer

The only way I know of is to get a skimmer with a large integrated sump, or equivalently an external skimmer. You should still use an overflow to ensure you are feeding the skimmer with surface water from your main tank. The overflow could gravity feed the skimmer and a small pump could be used to pump the water from the skimmer's sump back up to your tank. You probably would want to put a ball valve at the pump output port to allow you to control the flow back up to the tank and to ensure enough dwell time through the skimmer.

xrobbx03 said:
how would i connect an external skimmer will i still need an overflow?

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Sump

Another option is to use a "closed sump" . Then you could go with a 10 gallon sump and not have to worry about floods. This would effectively increase your water volume but would not allow you to place heaters in it. I think there are also in-line heaters available that you could use if you can't put heaters in your sump.

xrobbx03 said:
well heres another thought im just shooting another idea out there. Since i cant get one big whole tank in there. What about some kind of custom job. Bare with me im trying to be creative here.

Ok so it starts with the overflow lets say rated for 600 gph which drops into the 10g tank which enters first and area for the skimmer which is little less than 3/4 full then another baffle where it enters to be the refugium which would be half filled of the 10g. From there have the side drilled for a bulkhead which would flow into a 5 gal tank where the water level is just sufficient enough to have a return pump function without sucking air.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Closed Sump

Same as above with the addition of a closed sump before the skimmer. you could then do a closed loop with a dedicated small pump to supply the skimmer with supply water would would then empy back into the closed sump. Tank water would drain via an overflow into the closed sump and then be pumped back up via a small return pump.

xrobbx03 said:
how would i do a closed sump

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Pump

I would run the overflow at half the max capacity or 300 gph. Add to this the required flow rate into the skimmer (probably not very high for needlewheel type skimmers). Add to that the head loss for the tee and the ball valves, the head loss for the height and the length of pipe, and any elbows or other fittings and that will give you the required pump flow rate. Always pick a pump that will give you a little more flow than you need and you can cut the flow back via ball valves.

You might look into the Sequence Dart although I am not sure if would be too much or too little flow. Sequence pumps are both efficient and quiet.

xrobbx03 said:
yeah chuck that looks good i think i'm going to ido it that way. What would u suggest for the pump there

1 - 16 of 16 Posts