The Reef Tank banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy Monday Folks

So here is my daft question for the day.

Can anyone give me advise for the best way to run a sump for my undrilled totally tempered main tank?
I've read through a lot of the archives but nearly everything talks about drilled holes or drilling them. The few articles I've come across on undrilled tanks are a bit vague on how to set them up.
Also my LFS is fairly insistent that the bio-balls sump is the best to use but I've read a few negative things about them in here. Once I figure out how to plumb it in I was going to use a small tank with LR in it. I figured I could use this sump as an emergency quarantine tank if I had to (disconnecting it from the main tank before hand). Am I being daft again?

The problem child

SeaDog

·
Registered
790 Posts
Just get a Wet/Dry with an overflow. And with the bio balls, just start taking them out slowley once your tank cycles...

-Paul

·
Premium Member
7,889 Posts
SeaDog here's a pic of an overflow that can be used without drilling. I have used these in the past and if setup correctly they are extremely reliable. The operation may be hard to grasp without seeing it so maybe someone can post a pic of one in operation.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
you can buy external overflows for your undrilled tank, they carry them at www.premiumaquatics.com for about 50 bucks i think is the price.

they are designed for the undrilled tank. the "u-tube" type is a better, and more reliable option than the cpr type.

then you can simply run the drain down to a sump.

you could go with a wetdry, but why bother. its much cheaper to just use an overflow and a 20 or 30 gallon tank.

the wetdry is gonna run you about 150 for a small one with a 2 gallon sump area. but you could get a 20 or 30g tank for a few bucks, and the overflow for 50.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
oh now you post rick :)

seadog, that's the type overflow i was just describing. they have those at premium for 50 bucks. i think it's rated to a 75g tank. they have bigger models, for more money, if you havea larger tank too.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks folks, I'll add that to the shopping list and let you know how it works out. I'll get to work on my next daft question right away:)
Thanks again.

Steve

1 - 6 of 6 Posts