The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
setting up a 125 FOWLR (soft corals)
has 2 over flows, can i run 2 sumps?
one with just a skimmer , heat, and return.
other with wet/dry (rubble) and media box, and return pump.
or just go with one.
for a return to the two over flows, can i use just 1 pump with a T?
Looking for energy saver system.

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
I don't see any advantages to two seperate sumps. Only thing I can think of would be if the tank is already setup and can't fit one large enough. Regardless, I would still tie them together with a bulkhead and not try to run two totally seperate sumps. Not for sure how the water levels in each would react as the pump flows and the overflow flow may not be exactly the same. If tank is just slightly unlevel then one could have a higher water level than the other and if you use auto-topoff may make it every more difficult to determine evap. water levels when the sumps are not tied together in some way.

·
Premium Member
4,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, so ill run one sump and feed one over-flow into the wet/dry box and let the other drain into the sump.
ill put my skimmer in the sump and one return pump to feed the two retuns....what size pump?
i have a mag 9.5 NIB and a small external Panworld 40.
Do I need a bigger pump?
sump is drilled, so I can run an external.

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
As long as the return pump is not all of your circulation, the size really doesn't matter. Anything around 600gph or more should be fine.

·
Anti-Acan Activist
2,579 Posts
I guess I am confused... you say one is going to overflow into wet/dry box and the other into the sump.... is the wet/dry box not part of your sump??

·
Premium Member
4,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
trodder said:
I guess I am confused... you say one is going to overflow into wet/dry box and the other into the sump.... is the wet/dry box not part of your sump??
yes, its just a box to put some rubble in and has a try for carbon etc.
Its all in one long tank.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts