The Reef Tank banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done some researching and couldn't find a clear answer to this. I have the eshopps overflow and I just made a hofer gurgle buster and man what a difference it's made as far as gurgling and water swoosh, BUT I'm still getting a ton of micro bubbles in the intake housing of the sump. From research I've found that you don't want the drain pipe to come in to the sump completely vertical, which I'm about to change. Also I've read something about drilling small vent holes just about the water line.

What about putting in a tee just below the water line and putting a 90 degree fitting and short pipe that turns above the water line? Would this allow the air to rise up seperate or would the water run in it and come above the water line through this extra pipe? Basically like an upside down durso pipe. Just a thought............... May not work at all.

Also how far down below the water line does the drain pipe need to be?

Attachments

·
Registered
838 Posts
This would not work as you want it to. Water would fill the pipe on both sides up to the water line. The air line would become useless at that point and you would still have the same issue.

If you want to remove micro bubbles simply drain the overflow into a filtersock and it will take care of almost all your microbubbles.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts