The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody.

I'm designing a new sump for my tank and I'm looking for your input. The dimensions will be 54"Lx15"Wx16H (~60 gallons). It's designed to fit in the stand of my tank and will basically take up all of the room down there. The goal is to have 5 separate chambers. First comes the area on the left where the water enters the sump from the tank overflow. From there, it goes over a 12" baffle into 2 separate chambers. The chamber toward the back will house my protein skimmer and calcium reactor (my reactor has leaked on me several times and for that reason, it's going in-sump). The chamber toward the front will be the refugium (~16 gallons). The refugium will spill over into the live rock channel which is past the skimmer/reactor area. All of the water will then flow over/under/over 3 baffles into the 5th chamber where the return pump will be housed. I'm attaching an image, please let me know what you think...

Thanks!
Paul.

Attachments

·
Registered
568 Posts
shroom boy,

that looks good and will work, but i would think about another option. save money, rubbermaid tub? then, my biggest problem with my tank is energy$$$$$ (living in wonderful PG&E area $150/month for the tank) and heat. if i were to do it again, no sump under the tank. circ pump and skimmer in room behind tank so i can move all my water with smaller pumps for less heat and electric bill. i would probably get rid of the sump all together and just put a spill pan under the reactor with an alarm for leaks. but that is all just IMHO.

bill

·
Registered
334 Posts
I'm trying to see the height of the last chamber, you will want that part as deep as you can get it, because of fluctuating levels you want a good amount of water over your pump (thinking it is underwater and not external?)! Now one more question how in the heck are you going to get that under your stand? Is it open enough to fit and I'm guessing it will go in before the tank unless the back is open enough to do so?
BTW plans look good.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input folks.

In answer to a couple of questions.

R1, regarding the $, I won a coupon for a custom sump at our (PSAS) recent club raffle, so hopefully it won't be too much out of pocket. :)

Thanks Cro, I'll definitely take shots if/when this thing's built.

NR, the last baffle before the return pump chamber is 8". I anticipate having a water level of 7" in that section. I run a SpectraPure Liquid Level controller, so there's not much fluctuation before topoffs. My return pump is a Mag9.5. Luckily, when I built my stand, I made it with removable sides, so I'll be able to slide my old sump out and slide this replacement in.

It's been pointed out to me that I'll be getting quite a bit of flow through the 4" channel behind the refugium (where the live rock will go). I may increase the size of that channel to 6".

Thanks again for the input, keep the comments coming!

Paul.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Well you know .......well I dont like it, heheh. Honestly now I understand what you are trying to do but it has one huge flaw. All the water ends up pouring into a 4 inch raceway. The speed of this raceway will not allow bubbles to disapate, then it spills over into the last chamber to be returned to the tank. The water will be pouring inot here pretty darn quick and will probibly create its own bubbles. Paul give me a call and we will work something out at the meeting,

Mike

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Mike.

Yeah, that's a concern I've got as well (see the last part of my post just prior to yours). I'm thinking of expanding that to 6" to alleviate the mad river falls effect :D. I'll talk to you about it on Monday. Thanks for the input!

Paul.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.