The Reef Tank banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks,

THis is my 1st posting on this site...I'm so glad to have found you. I am starting up a new 75gallon reef system in which I want to include a host anemone for clowns, some soft and SPS corals, a maxima clam or 2, and some other fish. I have kept salt water fish before, but this is my 1st venture beyond the old undergravel paradigm.

Anyway, I have been talked into a 30gallon sump which is to be built as a "Berlin" type filter; pretty much a prefilter bag, high end skimmer, and a foam mechanical filter. That's it. In my readings from the pros (primarily Fenner & Toluck), they seem to recommend this type of filtration and I like the natural qualities of it. However, it seems so many of you all are into a refugium of some sort to promote even better nitrogen fixing. THe sump that I have on order at this point won't have the space to drop in a refugium type compartment; the orientation of the box just won't allow for that.

So, I'd really appreciate any advice on the "Berlin" filtration approach and any experiences people have had in working with it. I was, however, pleased to see that this months Tank o' the Month was run with a Berlin type system...what a beauty!

Thanks folks
David from Boulder, CO

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
David! WELCOME! Glad to have you! :beer: :dance: :banana: :dance: :beer:
I have a berlin sump and am looking to add on a 50g refugium onto my 120g display. I would get the fuge type if I were you. But I've never had any experience with them. I'm sure someone has!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.