The Reef Tank banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 20gal long from my generous cousin and I would like to turn it into a sump. Do I ask for acrylic, plexiglass, ???, from Home Depot? Fasten it with silicone? :confused: :confused:
I have a Mag 5 return pump. From what I understand, this affects how far apart I put the baffles. Thanks for your help!:)

·
Registered
468 Posts
You want 1/4" acrylic, anything thinner will buckle. DAP makes an aquarium silicone that HD used to sell. For some reason, they stopped selling it but maybe there are some lingering tubes on the shelf at your HD.
If you have to, you can cut the stuff w/ a circular saw using a plywood blade. It worked great for me and many others.
The baffles serve 2 purposes. Maintain a water level and/or allow microbubbles to clear out. In my sump, my baffle is more for maintaining a 8-9" height for my skimmer and not for clearing out bubbles.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
When you cut the acrylic a finishing blade (that is one with lots of teeth) will get you a smoother cut. GO SLOW or the acrylic will melt and stick together then you jagged cuts and will not be happy with the finished product. My baffels are from 3/4 to 1 inch appart. this works ok but I did not make them go deep enought and still get some mirco bubbles in the refugium that I am not happy with but I don't get them in the return section of the sump. When I cut my acrylic I used a jig saw. and still found that I have to go slow.

The biggest piece of advice I can offer is take your time don't rush.

Fred

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I was going to use glass but wanted to advoid sharpe edges that I could cut myself on. the silicone adheres to the pley and glass just fine.

Fred

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
:lol: patentice they are a vertue that I don't have. :lol:

Fred

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I don't know and was not taking that chance. I found out that HD does not cut glass anymore. just not worth the risk IMHO

Fred

1 - 12 of 12 Posts