The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
either glass or acrylic will work. glass will actually stick if using silly cone. if you plan on using acrylic you need to use massive beads of silly cone all around the baffle. silly cone does not adhere to acrylic. you may think it does, but 3 months down the road it will just fall off it you try and cement it like you would it if were glass. just use big beads all around the acrylic so it is the cured silly cone attached to the glass that is holding the baffles.

if you plan on using glass make sure to put a bead of silly cone over the top of the baffles. this will keep you from getting bad cuts if you need to dig around in the sump.

G~

·
Registered
616 Posts
Is there something other than silly cone to hold them in place? Also, what is a good way to keep the micro-bubbles to a minimum? I was thinking of going under, over, under. (I've got a 20 long as well that I want to make into a sump).

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
pretty much just silly cone. the adhesives used for the acrylic are not suitable for glass at all. you have to think if it were possible to glue acrylic to glass, than all of our tanks would have one side glass and all the rest acrylic. ;)

if you have the room, than go under, over, under, over. the last over controls the water height in the sump and the return pump section.

G~

·
Registered
616 Posts
I just bought four panes of glass from the hardware. How far apart should I place them? Also, should the two overs be the same height?

·
Premium Member
20,603 Posts
you cvan place them as close as you want. try to leave room to get your hand down in there if youneed to down the line. yes you want the two "high" ones to be the same ... the mind set is what ever the distance is fromt he bottom ( or top) they all should be the same

·
Registered
616 Posts
All four should be the same? What about having the two unders ten inches tall and the two overs about seven inches tall?

I'll try to spread them out a bit Armando. Thanks for that advice, the main purpose of me doing this is to cut down on microbubbles.

·
Registered
144 Posts
One thing you should keep in mind using glass baffles. Unless you ground the edges they will be VERY Sharp. Just a word of warning from a guy who has cut himself like this before.

George

·
Registered
616 Posts
Is that necessary? The unders have two inch gaps below, and I have them nine inches apart, that means that the over that will go between them will have about four and a half inches between it and each under.

·
Registered
616 Posts
gtoon159 said:
One thing you should keep in mind using glass baffles. Unless you ground the edges they will be VERY Sharp. Just a word of warning from a guy who has cut himself like this before.

George
Thanks, I plan on putting some silicone over the exposed edges to cut down on the cut potential.

·
11,345 Posts
cobray said:
Is that necessary? The unders have two inch gaps below, and I have them nine inches apart, that means that the over that will go between them will have about four and a half inches between it and each under.
2 inch gaps between with 2 inch clearance on the unders with four total baffles u/o/u/o skimmer to return will kill all bubbles regardless of other circumstances until you start talking about more than a few thousand gph

·
Caitlin Renee 6/29/07
3,199 Posts
Geoff is helping me build my 20L sump also over in the DIY area. Maybe i am misunderstanding something. But what i am doing is my first baffle will be an under 15 inches from the left side of the sump. this will be my skimmer chamber. then i will place a over baffle 6 inches tall (for reasons being this tall per manufacturer of my skimmer this is the minimum level the the skimmer will operate) 2 inches from the 1st baffle. my 3rd baffle will be under 1 inch from my 2nd baffle. then my last baffle will be an over that will be 6 inches tall again and 2 inches from 3rd baffle. and the remaining space will be for my return area. Geoff told me the best thing to do is make the skimmer chamber as large as possible. then stay close with the next 2 baffles and try to make the return as large as possible. So i am going with his suggestions on it.

there are 2 reasons i am going 6" tall for my over baffles the first is per manufacturer minimum operating level for my skimmer, and number 2 if i go 6" and that is my guide line in my sump for my minimum water level.

I hope i explained this right. or did i screw it up Geoff?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts