The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Fish Goddess
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again! :)

my sump has started to get some what looks like brown algae. and its even forming on my plant! what should i do?
should i just leave it or should i get rid of it
heirs some pics of it.

:help:

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Same thing happened to me and had to remove the sump and clean it thoroughly of any red slime and brown algae. I did not imagine how much junk was in the sump until I cleaned it. If any bacteria was lost I tried to replaced it with Biozyme.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
:confused: isn't this what you want? it does not matter whether cyano or Chaeto is growing. both are binding the phosphates. isn't this what you are expecting a fuge to do? you now have to export the nutrients. either by trimming the Chaeto or siphoning the cyano. they are both performing the job you hoped they would, though if you did not have any nutrients in the system then both would die and you would not need the fuge.

G~

·
Premium Member
8,278 Posts
Generally once your chaeto is growing briskly it should recede. Siphon it out regularly and it is indeed removing nutrients. You can rinse chaeto off like a sponge. You may want to tear your cheato to encourage it to grow. It helps if there is enough flow that it the cheato rolls so it all gets equal light.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
Because you suggested that growing cyanobacteria was what he wanted to happen. Since I find it hard to believe you actually think someone wants to grow cyano...
what difference does it make whether it is cyano/chaeto/caleurpa or halimeda growing. they all bind the nutrients. as long as you remove the biomass you are removing the nutrients. is that not what the purpose of the "fuge" is?

G~

·
Administrator
18,744 Posts
I will give you the benefit of the doubt on this that you really don't know what the poster is wanting information on and explain it to you the best I can.

From reading his post, it seems to me he does not want to grow cyanobacteria but does want to have a refugium. His first post seems to imply this. There's nothing about his post that leads me to believe he wants the cyano. I am not sure how you came to this conclusion.

So, respecting the aquarist's intention behind his post, he's looking for how to get the cyanobacteria out of his refugium. Perhaps I am wrong, but my logic tells me he wants to keep the refugium as part of this solution.

In my experience it's probably caused by too low of flow in the refugium. This is also the advice that jenglish gave him. I am pretty sure by upping the flow he will take care of his problem with very little effort.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
i do not understand why you would not want to encourage it to grow there? is that not what the fuge is for? if the cyano has nutrients there to grow, let it. then remove the cyano to remove the nutrients. is this not the purpose of the fuge? sorry, i just can not see what am i not understanding?

i am honestly not trying to get into a fuge, no fuge thing. when i ran a fuge this is what i was understanding as the reason to run one. to grow things that would bind nutrients so that they could be exported in their biomass.

G~

·
Fish Goddess
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks for the reply's guys!!

ill add some more flow to it and see if that helps :)

btw im a she :p

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
why do you have all of those filter pads on the left side of the sump? if you do not clean that every week, every day would be better, then keeping cyano from going in there is going to be quite the battle.

the english language really needs a gender neutral pronoun. it just does not seem right. :D

G~

·
Reefer Madness
179 Posts
I believe the root question here to be is that algae a good thing, or is it a bad thing that needs to be worried about?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts