1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have 3 sulcatta tortoises for sale 12' + guy is 150$
10'+ is 110$
6"+ is 70$

I'm willing to trade them for SPS corals also!
or a 250W MH ballast that can run 15K XM bulbs

they eat great, never snapped at me and are great with kids (these are some of the tortoises you see kids riding at the zoo, they get big!)

-matt egan

·
RIP Steve Irwin
5,500 Posts
no pics? any shell problems? do you know the sex? I have no intrest personally but know some that may.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
son of a.............. " was supposed to be a "! 12" ! anyway the younger one has some doming on his shell, looks like the people i got them from fed them protien. the big one shave good shells. not sure on sex

as far as care gos these are pretty simple, they need a heater (i just use a regular lightbulb with a cheap reflector you get at menards.) some room to move around. you feed them either tortoies diet or lots of romaine lettuce tomatos, carots ETC ETC (not regular lettuce, there is no nutrition in it) they will eat anything you give them but they CANNOt have protien, its bad for them
-matt egan

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
provided that "roomba" mean "cool little conversation piece that runs around and poops" then yes, yes it will

·
RIP Steve Irwin
5,500 Posts
Romaine is just as bad as Ice berg, I would go with collard greens if you want any nutrients at all, the rest are just water for the most part. Torts can have some protein, just do not base their diet on it as they are a herbavore generally speaking, I add a bit of soggy dog food to my plate of greens once a week and to do that a bit is healthy and helps them hold weight up a bit.
As far as the Pyramiding goes using a regular light bulb for heat is where this problem comes from. Without natural UVA/UVB they will not digest CA properly resulting in pyramiding (or doming as you put it) or even cracked shells. It really helps to have a good CA suppliment too. The one I found most easily digestable is Miner-all.
Do not let these wander too much as they will go right through your sheetrock when a little larger, I reccommend a wooden or concrete pen of some sort.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hhhmmm i always read that the pyramiding was from protein, oh well, other then that they are healthy! even the pyramiding isnt "unhealthy" just not idea, as far as i have read it slike us getting fat... not ideal, but won't kill ya unless it gets bad
-matt egan

·
RIP Steve Irwin
5,500 Posts
http://www.animalnetwork.com/reptiles/printer.aspx?aid=20864&cid=596
This is a good article that touches on the protein in the diet along with all other "possible" causes for pyramiding. Pyramiding like you said is far from the end of the world anyways. I just thought you might find it interesting. I will talk to a buddy of mine as he is looking for some sulcatas The LPS wants 900 for a pair of 14" ers UGH

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
900??????? wow if hw is interested i'll give all three to him for 250, thats 80 less then i was asking for. or as always coral in trade...............

-matt egan

·
RIP Steve Irwin
5,500 Posts
Maybe it was 900 for the pair. ??!!?? He does not keep corals but has a 125 with live rock he may trade out. Go to www.larryslizards.com for contact info. Larry is the owner. Tell him Steve S. sent ya.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts