The Reef Tank banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 44 gal hex tank that's been set up for about 1 3/4 years now. I have a crushed coral substrate, but plan on changing that to sand eventually (not sure how hard it'll be to change them). I have a GS Maroon Clown, one small Blue/Green Chromis, and a Neon Dottyback. I also have a Fire Shrimp and a Cleaner Shrimp. I've been having a bit of an algae outbreak lately, and it's a mixture of different algaes, and my Zoanthids are not opening up like they used to because of the algae. I just got new bulbs, so I know that's not the problem, and I added a UV sterilizer recently. I hoped that would knock it out. No luck. I'm thinking now that my problem may be the flake food I'm feeding my fish, which I changed to from another brand about 3 months ago, or maybe my substrate. I know I probably shouldn't add another fish, but I'm thinking of getting a fish that will eat the algae. Is that a good idea, or should I try a different approach? If adding an algae-eating fish is a good choice, does anyone have suggestions on which one to add?

Thanks in advance,
Brad

·
Registered
224 Posts
I'm pretty new to this, but I think adding an algae eating fish is only a band-aid to the real problem. You need to figure out where all this algae is coming from and why it is breaking out and then correct the problem. Once the problem is corrected, then you can get an algae eating fish to get rid of what you already have.

But, IMO, I wouldn't get an algae eating fish to correct the problem.

Good luck.

·
Registered
44 Posts
There can be sooo many reasons for an algae bloom this long after the tank is setup. Phosphates in the food can be a source, I would look at the water source for top-off water and water changes. If you filter your own water check and replace the media, it could be the source of phosphates too.

It could be that your substrate is a nutrient sink, but I kinda doubt it since it doesn't look too deep.

Is your skimmer still producing good skimate? sometimes skimmers have to be retuned every year or so (clean the pump, air hose, etc)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The water I use is RO/DI spring water from Wal-Mart. I've used it for quite a while now, and never had any problems before.

My skimmer could very well be the problem. A lot of waste is collecting in the chamber, but it's a pretty thin liquid. It's a Bak Pak 2, and it uses the Rio pump, which I know is crappy, but I haven't been able to break down and get anything better to run it with. I do have a Maxi-Jet 600, but I don't think that's any stronger than the Rio 600, is it? I'm pretty sure it's the Rio 600 I have on my skimmer. I need to check the pump and clean it out. I have to clean the air hose out pretty often anyway.

Thanks,
Brad

·
Registered
44 Posts
A lot of waste collecting in the cup is kinda a good thing as it shows that it's removing a lot of organics from the water. It could be that walmart needs to change their filters ;). A couple things I can suggest, when you do water changes, pull out as much of the algae as possible, use a powerhead to blow off all your rocks (you want to get as much detritus in the water you remove as possible), you might also want to periodically do that so the skimmer can remove more "crap". Also, if you don't already dose kalkwasser, you can try using that, it helps your skimmer work better and causes phosphate to precipitate out of the water. Finally, you can get a lawnmower blenny or a similar algae eating fish, but as someone else said before it might just be masking a phosphate or nitrate problem.

·
Registered
344 Posts
hey brad, let me know if you decide to change your substrate... i'd be more than happy to help out for the review you gave me at work :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts