The Reef Tank banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 44 gal hex tank that's been set up for about 1 3/4 years now. I have a crushed coral substrate, but plan on changing that to sand eventually (not sure how hard it'll be to change them). I have a GS Maroon Clown, one small Blue/Green Chromis, and a Neon Dottyback. I also have a Fire Shrimp and a Cleaner Shrimp. I've been having a bit of an algae outbreak lately, and it's a mixture of different algaes, and my Zoanthids are not opening up like they used to because of the algae. I just got new bulbs, so I know that's not the problem, and I added a UV sterilizer recently. I hoped that would knock it out. No luck. I'm thinking now that my problem may be the flake food I'm feeding my fish, which I changed to from another brand about 3 months ago, or maybe my substrate. I know I probably shouldn't add another fish, but I'm thinking of getting a fish that will eat the algae. Is that a good idea, or should I try a different approach? If adding an algae-eating fish is a good choice, does anyone have suggestions on which one to add?

Thanks in advance,
Brad

1 - 3 of 3 Posts