The Reef Tank banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey TRT,
A friend of mine is going to set up a fish only tank. He's going to use a 50 gal tank that he picked up from his aunt for $50 includes canopy and stand no lighting. He is on a budget. What is the least expensive way to set up a Fish only tank? Please make any suggestions to the following list:

Filtration - (please include make and model)
Sand/Gravel - (please include the amount in lbs.)
Lighting - (please include Wattage if nessesary)
Number of Power Heads - ( if multiple power heads are needed)
Additives - ( What additives does a fish only tank needs)
Live rock - ( please include the amount in lbs. if nessesary)

thank you for all your help in advance
:)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've thought of that method.. thats pretty much a DSB FOWLR right? plus he's gonna need a proteins skimmer. any other ideas?

im from FULLERTON CA.

·
Premium Member
13,218 Posts
Filtration - One honker of a skimmer and a way to run floss (either through sump or another filter)

Sand/Gravel - I would not use a DSB. It will clog too fast feeding the fish right. About 1" for looks and you can stir it and clean it when you need to.

Lighting - Your eye! BE careful, more light = more algae.

Number of Power Heads - I would just use one big pump from sump. If not, a couple of 500gph or better.

Additives - Buffer/Alk for Ph swings

Live rock - Looks good. I wouldn't use the most expensive LR either. Since I plan on using the lights as little as possible and swapping rocks out - rocks are going to be my main filtration.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Filtration - (please include make and model)

2 Emperor 400 filters About $45.00 each at Drs Foster & Smith And Big Al's Throw away the bio-wheels, use the filter media

Sand/Gravel - (please include the amount in lbs.)

Buy play sand at Lowe's or Home Depot. 2-50 pound bags about $6.00

Lighting - (please include Wattage if nessesary)

Cheap - Prefecto twin 30W NO strip About $73.00 Better 36 inch Smart Light with 96W PC about 3 times as bright as the other light. About$130.00

Number of Power Heads - ( if multiple power heads are needed)

None

Additives - ( What additives does a fish only tank needs)

None

Live rock - ( please include the amount in lbs. if nessesary) Buy a 60 pound box of base rock from www.hirocks.com Then buy some live rock to put on top Base rock is $ 80.00. If you buy the Live Rock (LR) on line it will be cheaper. If you buy it from an LFS you get to pick shapes that you really like. This can be bought 1 or 2 pieces at a time.

Ray

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.