The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I need a little help with a couple issues...

1 - My PH has been dropping to 7.75 at night - raising to 8.05 w/the lights on. How can I get my PH up & get it to stay up?

2 - I'd like to find a couple/few tank mates that will turn/clean the sand bed. Reef safe suggestions?

1 - Perc
3 - grenn chromies
2 - pep shrimp
5 - turbos
1 - watchman goby
2 - torchus snails
corals - green milli acro, bali tricolor acro , an unknown tricolor acro, Pavona, Pink montipora digitata, and some zoanthids

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Run a refugium on a reverse light cycle of your tank. This alone should help a ton with your PH. Also drip kalk to help keep it steady....

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Drip the kalk and start testing for Alkilinity. If you can keep your alk and calcium at optimal levels you will be fine. IMO Alk is the most important thing you can have stable.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took a trip to OD, which is an hour drive each way, Ed spent an hour with me on the 2 issues....

For the PH issue - he determined it was an alk problem. I will start dosing Seachem Reef builder to raise the alk. I'm already using Kalk in my top off water.

For the sand sifting issue - he couldnt recommend the snails or the crabs - since I have sand bed (vs a CC bed). To keep the watchman company - I went with a pistol shrimp. To sift the bed - I went with a Diamindside Goby. We are hoping that this combo will deter the watchman from picking on the diamonside.

Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts