The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

For those of you that don't remember me, I currently have a 120 gal Reef tank.

I've recently sold off everything in my 75gal Planted Freshwater tank, and I'll start the cleaning process tonight.

The only think I know about this tank right now, is that it's going to be a Saltwater Tank...

I currently have two double 48" NO strip lights for the tank, and I was thinking about going FO with this tank... 4 x 40watt's of 50/50 bulbs... would that be enough to get a little Coralin to grow?

I'm also looking for HOB skimmers for this tank, I'm worried about the weight since this tank is upstairs next to an outside wall. I'm worried that if I tried to add a sump the weight would be increased too much for the floor.... With that in Mind I've ALMOST settled on the Remora Pro w/ a Mag 3 pump, pre-skimmer box and a bigger cup... Thoughts on this setup?

Also worried that if I tried to go FOWLR the additional Rock weight would be too much as well... Thoughts on this?

Currenly I have left 1x 300 Watt heater, two double strip lights for NO bulbs, 1 Rena Filstar XP3 canister filter.

I'm thinking about getting some Maxi-Jet's for this tank to help with some water movement, are these needed for a FO tank?

It's kinda funny, I went Reef in the beginning, and now I'm wondering about the standards for FO LOL

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have a 125g on my main floor (basement underneath). I placed the tank such that it sits perpendicular across 3 floor beams (if it was the other way it would sit on only 1). This tank has been there for 3 years and we have not had any problems with the weight (so far).

IMO, I don't think I would worry about the weight of the rocks because it displaces water. It may increase the weight some, but not much.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks, I was just about to give r' a bump, cause I'm still looking for suggestions...

·
Premium Member
7,654 Posts
I agree with mwanttie, set the tank perpendicular to the floor joists, you should have no problems with weight. Lighting should be fine for coralline, you most likely will have to run bioballs for your biological filtration if you have a small amount of LR.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, I double checked and the tank is sitting across 3 or 4 beems, The beams run N S and the tank is accross them E to W, So I think I'll be ok there....

So that being said...

I'm still torn as to what to do with this tank :(

If I get a sump for it, I'll want to take the tank up to the LFS and have it drilled... Might as well while it's empty right?

Originally I was thinking FO, with HOB skimmer and canister filter....

But now I'm possibly looking at Wet/Dry w/ bioballs and sump ?

Man, this is making my reef tank look easy!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts