The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, this is my first post on TRT. I joined the other night after deciding to start my first marine aquarium (yes, I'm a noob). To give you some background, I have recently acquired a 30ish gal. tank (30"L x 18"H x 12.5"W). I know this is probably the smallest I really want to get with a marine aquarium due to upkeep, but I'm trying to get all the equip. I need to start cycling.
I've done some research on organisms, so I have a feel for what I want to use it for. I want to have some live rock/sand on the bottom, with 2 clowns (probably the ocellaris, not sure if I want the black or the orange or both yet) and a few other community/reef safe fish. I haven't decided what the others will be yet but I'll probably choose from this group: blue/green chromis or some of the less aggressive damsels or a firefish goby or 6 line wrasse etc. I haven't decided if I want some crabs/snails yet but if there's room I may. Once my tank is mature enough I'd like to have a smaller anemone (one that will live happily in my little 30 gal and that can bunk with my clowns.) and maybe the same idea with some low light coral.
That being said, after some research and advice from my LFS I purchased a coralife new style super skimmer for tanks up to 65 gal. and a glass top. I already have a heater (100W-120V-60hz ViaAqua) and when I upgrade to corals/anemones I'll prob add something to increase the flow in the tank.

This is where the light comes in. I'm pretty sure the one I have wont work for what I want to use the tank for. The one I have is... well its anyone's guees really. it looks like a fluorescent and says its 20 watts... It also has this little canister thing on the side that says its a starter with a condenser? I dont know how to get the bulb out to see if it has any writing on it, but I think I just want a new one so I know what I have.
I've looked at a few and saw someone posted this guy up for their 30 gal. which they had both fish and corals in. would this work for me?

SkyLED 24" Aquarium Light - 252 LEDs they are on TruAqua's site. I cant post a link yet lol.

any suggestions for what else I could get? preferably something not too hard on my wallet but that will get the job done and keep my little buggers happy? Thanks everyone!

·
little fishy girl
4,061 Posts

Attachments

·
little fishy girl
4,061 Posts
thanks so much and i'm not sure i really dont know anything about anemones my clarkii clowns host the hairy green mushrooms so i never looked into one.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have that skimmer it works pretty well although most people will say it is no good it did take me a while to dail it in.

As far as the lights go there is so much out there but to be honest even though I did not go that way cause when I first started I didnt know much, I have been reading alot about led so if you can I would go with a led diy there is alot info out there on them some good videos on u tube, and you can easily make changes to it. you will save alot of money as well

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I will def. go with an LED set up but price is def. holding me back, hence why I liked this little number. It does warn against using it for reef aquariums though. What would the light requirements be if I wanted a sun coral and some mushrooms. I'd like to put a torch in there too once I'm a little more experienced with it all. I've seen people post how they liked their ecoxotic LED's does anyone know about this one?

·
Fish Whisperer
729 Posts
Sun coral and mushrooms need low lighting-just enough to see them. Torch coral need moderate lighting-Panorama Pro would work fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts