The Reef Tank banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking to add what would be the feature or marquee fish to a 56 gal tank that has a yellow tang, kole tang and a flame angel (all about the same size, 2-3 inches), along with simple corals such as mushrooms and polyps. Lots of live rock, live sand, UV filter, all good equipment.

I was thinking maybe a butterfly, if there are any that would be okay with this type of reef. Maybe a threadfin, or possibly a banner fish. I like angels also, but I gather most are not reef friendly.

Looking for a fish that wouldn't grow beyond, say, 6 inches.

Thanks for feedback and ideas!

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
I would like to say welcome to TRT!

I believe you should not have tangs in a 56 gallon tank! Although they are small now they will need to be put in a bigger tank and this may be your plan!

As far as added a butterfly, I did this and my yellow tang beat it up pretty good and kept it in a corner until I eventually moved the yellow tang and the copperband is doing just great now! Fish with smiliar shape will fight!

A tang should be the last fish added to the tank!

Can't really say what fish would be advisable to add to your tank at this time!

Here is my copperband butterfly!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hello,
My show piece is my recently added male pink squarespot anthia. He is absolutely stunning. These anthias are definately a jaw dropper and worthy of any tanks 'show piece'.
However, your 55 may be too small for one of these as they do require a lot of room to swim. They are generally not recommended for tanks smaller than 75, but you never know.
There are also several species of 'fairy wrasses' that are reef safe, smaller in size, love to swim and show themselves off, which would do well in your tank. They also have absolutely stunning vibrant colors. The only downfall is they like to jump out of tanks, so you will need a cover. You can find some nice photos of these at www.drsfostersmith.com.
Good luck finding that right fish for you!

·
Summer and Alyssa's Daddy
2,679 Posts
With Sean's advice in mind, a Scott's Fairy Wrasse may be the way to go. However You have two tangs that may get a little large for your tank. But my wife successfully kept a Yellow Tang and at one time a Kole tang in a 29 gal tank. She did have to move them to larger tanks though, but they resided for over a year a piece. (The yellow was really small, and the kole just didn't seem to grow as fast as the yellow)

Ray

1 - 4 of 4 Posts