The Reef Tank banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i was wondering what would be a good photoperiod for my 40 gallon breeder?

im still experimenting with this while i dont have corals but i want to get it on a good steady basis before i add anything else to the tank. i have done one adjustment due to an algae outbreak. i left the lights off for two days and the algae went away.

my equipment as far as lighting is an "all in one" 1 150watt metal halide in center, 2 power compact true actinics in the front and back and 4 dual lunar led lights.

my tank is a 40 gallon breeder measuring 36" side to side, 18" front to back and 16" tall.

as far as livestock, i have 2"-3" of live sand, about 40 lbs of live rock, some fern looking plants, some chaeto algae, some dragons breath alge, a feather duster, a hard tube coco worm, 20-30 assorted snails and hermits, an emerald crab, a porcelain crab, a cleaner shrimp, a peppermint shrimp, a gold stripe maroon clown, a saddleback clown, a blue reef chromis, a tri color anthias, a yellow watchman goby, a gold head sand sifting goby, a flametail blenny and a flame angel fish.

i was wondering if someone could suggest the amount of time to run each set of lighting(halide, P.C.'s, lunars) and how long to have no lights on???

·
Administrator
18,744 Posts
For my fish only tanks I usually just run the lights for 4 or 5 hours. The fish don't need light's on all day long.

Once you get corals it will depends on the corals. I run my reef lights for 12 hours a day.

I don't run lunars anymore, but when I did I ran them for two hours right after the main light went off they came on and then turned off to allow the fish some total darkness.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts