The Reef Tank banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Administrator
20,515 Posts
For right now I think a couple power heads pointing towards the surface will go a long way to help your system.
They range from STUPID EXPENSIVE to DIRT CHEAP.........
......I personally am from the DIRT CHEAP camp. ;)
I've used these for years, and am ordering this again now for myself.

And yes, I use a LifeReef skimmer, but although an incredible skimmer, they are a tad pricey......took me a long time to convince myself, and have never looked back.
Hack

·
Super Moderator
Fry Daddy! Multiple tanks, reef, seahorse
33,735 Posts
I’ve been following but been busy today. All good advice. Get more surface agitation. Keep temperature lower . As temperatures get higher , oxygen levels drop. But on a normal tank we normally don’t see that happening. I’ve had tank get up to mid 80’s and it didn’t cause any fish losses. But if you are having issues with low oxygen then it could be an issue.
As far as skimmers you can find some decent hang in back from reef octopus and aquaMaxx.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I wouldn’t. You may be able to adjust the canister return for more surface agitation.
Got it. Ty!

For right now I think a couple power heads pointing towards the surface will go a long way to help your system.
They range from STUPID EXPENSIVE to DIRT CHEAP.........
......I personally am from the DIRT CHEAP camp. ;)
I've used these for years, and am ordering this again now for myself.

And yes, I use a LifeReef skimmer, but although an incredible skimmer, they are a tad pricey......took me a long time to convince myself, and have never looked back.
Hack
Yeah I'm trying to save money now that I have to get so many things. A cheap power head is fine to me. Now for a hang on top skimmer what do you recommend that is not so expensive?

I’ve been following but been busy today. All good advice. Get more surface agitation. Keep temperature lower . As temperatures get higher , oxygen levels drop. But on a normal tank we normally don’t see that happening. I’ve had tank get up to mid 80’s and it didn’t cause any fish losses. But if you are having issues with low oxygen then it could be an issue.
As far as skimmers you can find some decent hang in back from reef octopus and aquaMaxx.
Thank you for the advise! I'm looking for skimmer options that are not so crazy expensive but are effective.

Thank you everybody.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Okay..this is confusing.
You've had the same setup for a year, and everything was fine?

It appears ALL your fish died within a 8 hr (window) while you were at work?

It's NOT oxygen as you had the same tank running for a year you said in the same parameters.

I initially thought temperature maybe a heater went wacko but that would have killed your corals probably.

The only two things that were introduced into your aquarium where the new (nutrient chemical)
And you said A week before you added some corals etc..

All I can think of is you introduced a disease into your tank but that still wouldn't explain all your fish dying at once within an 8-hour window?

The chemical you put in is just food.

Frankly all I can think of and I'm no expert.. I've had my ups and alot of downs and have had my tank for 20 + years.

All I can think of is an accidental overdose of something? or HEAT? a faulty heater?

Is there any possible way something could have been introduced into the water children guests housekeeper?

I had an unfortunate experience 4 years ago I moved my aquarium and during the process of moving and setting up took a couple weeks which was likely the problem everything died all corals all fish only one made two fish made it a big maroon clown and a flame hawk.
It's the weirdest thing I've ever seen and nobody's ever been able to explain it to me but my corals basically just turned to mush and rotted.

These were corals that were 15 16 17 years old in some cases?

I thought I did everything within reason but sometimes when you're trying to recreate mother nature in a closed small environment nobody has the answers it's just unfortunate 😩
I hope you can find out what happened cuz I know it's a real drag to lose things you feel responsible for.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Okay..this is confusing.
You've had the same setup for a year, and everything was fine?

It appears ALL your fish died within a 8 hr (window) while you were at work?

It's NOT oxygen as you had the same tank running for a year you said in the same parameters.

I initially thought temperature maybe a heater went wacko but that would have killed your corals probably.

The only two things that were introduced into your aquarium where the new (nutrient chemical)
And you said A week before you added some corals etc..

All I can think of is you introduced a disease into your tank but that still wouldn't explain all your fish dying at once within an 8-hour window?

The chemical you put in is just food.

Frankly all I can think of and I'm no expert.. I've had my ups and alot of downs and have had my tank for 20 + years.

All I can think of is an accidental overdose of something? or HEAT? a faulty heater?

Is there any possible way something could have been introduced into the water children guests housekeeper?

I had an unfortunate experience 4 years ago I moved my aquarium and during the process of moving and setting up took a couple weeks which was likely the problem everything died all corals all fish only one made two fish made it a big maroon clown and a flame hawk.
It's the weirdest thing I've ever seen and nobody's ever been able to explain it to me but my corals basically just turned to mush and rotted.

These were corals that were 15 16 17 years old in some cases?

I thought I did everything within reason but sometimes when you're trying to recreate mother nature in a closed small environment nobody has the answers it's just unfortunate 😩
I hope you can find out what happened cuz I know it's a real drag to lose things you feel responsible for.
Right now I still don't know what happened and I'll probably never find out haha. It sucks but it is what it is.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I got an update guys. I had a Amazon gift card and I use Amazon pretty often so I got an Amazon credit card for purchases there and they gave me $200 as a welcoming offer, so I ended up getting the Octo 100 HOB. I installed it yesterday and this morning I woke up and it was pretty full of nasty stuff. It scared me a little cause I thought it was gonna overflow. How do I adjust it? Is it by setting the collection cup higher? I turned it off this morning cause I wAnna make sure I do this right and I don't get home with water everywhere. Also My brother gave me a fire goby and a royal gramma as a gift and this was almost two weeks ago. And now I can't find the royal gramma. I haven't seen it in a week. Even when I feed them. It's weird.. My luck is testing me!!!! Mercy.

·
Super Moderator
33,735 Posts
Yes you adjust the cup higher for less and lower for more. New skimmer tend to need time to so call break in. The residue from the acrylic will cause them to act up. After a few days or sometimes longer they will settle down and you can adjust it to get a good skim.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Good morning everyone!

I wanted to give you an update on what has been a very frustrating journey.. After allof this happened we have done everything we can in our hands to improve the conditions of the tank. We added a skimmer, we added UV lightwater filter and another power head. After all the fish died that first time, we had 3 more incidents. First, about 2 weeks after the first one we bought a fire goby and a royal gramma. Both died not too long after we got them. We waited about a month to add anything into the tank. We got a Mandarin goby(I know a bold move considering what had been happening..) It was fine for a weekeating we added cope pods regularly and it just died. After that we waited about 2-3 monthsto add anything. That's when we added the uv light. Time passes and we think ok it's time, what the heck..Last Thursday we got 2 clown fish and a fire fish goby. Yesterday everyone was just fine at night we were watching them eating very excited and exploring. Now this morning the firefish is dead. And I'm like what the f is going on? This is so frustrating, wasting money but also just feelingsad for this and for them. We have tried everything in our hands to prevent this and it keeps happening.Water parameters seem to be fine (adding a photo).

I don't know if this is a coincidence but this all started when we went to a store and brought home 3 corals. One organ pipe which is still alive, one pulsing xenia which the original body died and it just split into small ones that are bigger and healthy now, and one palythoa with the green tentacles.. I know that one is supposed to be poisonous. I'm not sure if the paly is the villain here or not but I took it out. I'm not risking the other 2 clownfish that seem to be happy.

What are your thoughts guys? I really don't know what to do :(

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
33,735 Posts
Sorry for all your troubles, those strips are fine for a quick glance at your perimeters . If you have other test like Salifert it Hanna and number of other good test kits. I don’t think it’s anything wrong with your water quality. You say the clowns are doing good and eating. Good sign. Fire fish can be hit and miss .
Can you add some photos of your tank. The rock, coral and fish. Also a picture of the surface of the tank.
I take it you buy from a local fish store. How long do you acclimate them. I stop acclimating fish years ago. Just temp acclimate and place in tank and don’t add water from bag to tank.
Hopefully the clowns do good . They are hardy fish.
The pictures will be helpful

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Sorry for all your troubles, those strips are fine for a quick glance at your perimeters . If you have other test like Salifert it Hanna and number of other good test kits. I don’t think it’s anything wrong with your water quality. You say the clowns are doing good and eating. Good sign. Fire fish can be hit and miss .
Can you add some photos of your tank. The rock, coral and fish. Also a picture of the surface of the tank.
I take it you buy from a local fish store. How long do you acclimate them. I stop acclimating fish years ago. Just temp acclimate and place in tank and don’t add water from bag to tank.
Hopefully the clowns do good . They are hardy fish.
The pictures will be helpful

We do get the fish from our local store. I just got back home and took some photos. Clown fish are super active I just fed them. I temp acclimate, never mix water from bag.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
33,735 Posts
Looks like good surface movement.
Just keep the clowns for awhile, see how they do long term.
From all the information provided I’m not sure what happened.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Looks like good surface movement.
Just keep the clowns for awhile, see how they do long term.
From all the information provided I’m not sure what happened.
I don't know either... It's crazy! Sometimes I wonder like is there another creature living here that's killing them? I have some small hermit crabs, one shrimp, I saw a brittle starfish somewhere that probably came inside a coral and that's it. I did see a small worm the other day but i it didn't look like anything (I hope).

·
Registered
8,949 Posts
I wouldn’t think a predator would suddenly kill off all of the fish at once.
Most likely a toxic substance would have gotten the corals also.
O2 depletion would be strange happening that many times.
As stated I would keep just the clowns for a while. Then add other hardy fish.
Fire fish are rather prone to being bullied and clowns are good at that. Were they showing aggression?

21 - 40 of 43 Posts