The Reef Tank banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After my tank cycled (no ammonia and nitrites for a few days, 5ppm nitrates), I added one emerald crab and two
astrea snails on Wednesday.

All have been doing fine, as far as I can tell,
cruising/climbing around and eating algae.

The crab was fine and lively and eating up until an hour
ago, when it all of a sudden fell off the rock onto the
sand. It didn't right itself, so I turned it back over.

It moved a little after that, but now appears dead.

I tried moving it to a different spot, but I'm pretty sure
it's not with us anymore :(

No ammonia and nitrites, Nitrates below 5ppm. SG and temp
haven't changed (1.025 SG, 78-80 Temp).

Any ideas what could kill a crab suddenly?

This is making me very unhappy! I hate doing this to a
creature and since I don't know what caused it, I feel
uncomfortable getting another.

I'm also worried about adding anything else!

I'd be grateful for any advice!

The two snails appear fine...

Susanne

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hi Susanne,

Sorry about your loss. I can only suggest that

1. maybe you did not take enough time to acclimate the crab to your tank
--or
2. The crab was sick when you aquired it. ---- or
3. Crab starved to death in new tank

I had three emerald crabs until recently

I recently lost a medium size emerald crab. One morning, I saw him sitting dead right in the middle of my huge leather coral (first coral in my tank). I figured that the leather coral killed him, he had to crawl up there (but I am a newbee too what do I know) :funny:
I removed him two days later and found that his insides were gone, something ate him. :confused:
Two days ago I saw my original small crab. He now has only one pincher arm. :confused:

I have a huge emerald Crab aquired two months age. He has huge arms and looks like Popeye. I now suspect he may have has been involved with smaller crab problems. :(

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe your crab with the insides gone just molted, and you found the empty exoskeleton?

I thought I acclimated long enough, but maybe next time I'll try a little longer.

Could the difference in SG and Temp have to do with it?
Store keeps their water at 1.020 and 85 F, while my tank is at 1.025 and between 78-80 F.

I'll find out the stores parameters in Portland. Maybe it'll be closer to my tank's, but it would also mean a 2 hour journey for whatever I'll get...

Susanne

·
Registered
141 Posts
siskiou said:
Maybe your crab with the insides gone just molted, and you found the empty exoskeleton?

I thought I acclimated long enough, but maybe next time I'll try a little longer.

Could the difference in SG and Temp have to do with it?
Store keeps their water at 1.020 and 85 F, while my tank is at 1.025 and between 78-80 F.

I'll find out the stores parameters in Portland. Maybe it'll be closer to my tank's, but it would also mean a 2 hour journey for whatever I'll get...

Susanne
Yes my crab probably molted, thanks you taught me something :beer: I did not know that crabs molted. After that happened this huge crab just appeared in my tank. :funny: Now I have to try to see the medium size crab I am suppose to have.

I think your water params are fine, better than the store.

·
Nemo's Chamber Boy
4,539 Posts
bring up acclimation precedures at the meeting, we can discuss that as a secondary topic to get you some ideas of how other people do it, and how long of a procedure they go through. in general though, inverts generally need more aclimation than other stuff, usmotic pressure really messes with them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.