The Reef Tank banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Montipora Vietnamenesis that i fragged onto some of my rocks, and the one has shown extreme growth, but today i was gone for about two hours and when i came back it was covered with white slime, and the coral was all white, i dont know if it is dead or badly damaged; but it seems to me this is the work of a pest.

my camera does no good because the frag is only about an inch long. has anyone heard or had this happen?

·
Premium Member
6,679 Posts
Nope not a pest,
RTN: Rapid Tussie Necrosis.

It happens. If your gonna play the SPS game get use to it.
I have had large 2 year old colonies do it. It can be heart breaking.
It is usually unexplainable.

RTN/STN can also be caused by another coral too close. LPS or anopther SPS.

If it were a pest, MEN Mopntipora eating nunibranch the most common, it would be slow and you would notice the edges turning white and maybe see the pests after light out.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
but how come it only effected one coral? its two inches away from the nearest anything, and it happened in an hour or less. i dont understand what could've cause it...

·
Registered
72 Posts
well i found a nudibranch yesterday.

I found a nudibranch, about 1/4 -1/3" long. so i took him out. This is the first one i have ever seen in my tank, hopefully it is the only culprit.

Are these things asexual?

·
Premium Member
6,679 Posts
I found a nudibranch, about 1/4 -1/3" long. so i took him out. This is the first one i have ever seen in my tank, hopefully it is the only culprit.

Are these things asexual?
Yes! Very sexual!
I lost hundreds in montipora a few years ago and it took about 8 months to finally get rid of them I still have nightmares!

The good new is they only eat Monti.
The bad new is there are probably more and eggs too :(

The strange things is the symptoms in your 1st post are nothing like nudis. Usually it's a slow death over a few days. And I have never seen slime.
I think the nudi is a coincidence albeit a bad one. But I still think your issue was RTN while it was being munched on my the nudis

And RTN is a strange beast. It can whipe out one coral with many more within inches unaffected.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
how long can their lifespan be?

can they survive without monti?

·
Registered
280 Posts
i have the same problem right now in my tank? I had about 4 diferent caps die in a week. Now in a month lost 5 caps, two acan, three chalice, green hydnofora, green and pink birdsnest, prob 15 frags of tri color acro and other acros. They are just kinda bleaching out. I have no idea whats going on. My idaho grape and green monti so far are only slightly fading hopefully i can get it under control.

Any kind of suggestion on what or if i can help it?

Thanks

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
Are you having an algae breakout in the tank. How often do you have to clean the class free of algae?

Sounds like there may be a nutrient issue or chemical warfare of some sort.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I clean the glass everyday. It get just a little bit of a haze on the glass. Not terribly bad but i used to only have to once every 3 days. I also just started with sps and bought the nova pro 6 bulb T-5 for a little 55g tank. Is it to much light?

I got all the sps from chris K and another chris that use T-5 as well.

What should i check for ?
Calcium 450ppm
PH 8.2
Nitrate 5-10
ammonia and nitrite both 0ppm

I know i need more tests but what ones?

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
Sounds like a slightly elevated level of phosphate (hobby level kits are worthless pretty much so no need to buy one for it)...

I suggest running some carbon and phosphate absorbent of some type (AKA GFO).

How did you acclimate the corals to your tank?

·
Premium Member
6,679 Posts
Derek If you want to check your phosphates I have a photometer. (the only way to accurately check them).

I do not see alk listed above. IMO it's is #1 in keeping SPS. Not just keeping it in range but keeping it stable.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Ya i know i need to buy some more tests including alk. The one i have is a crap red sea one from when i first bought salt stuff. I tested with it and its say low normal high. I am at normal reading 1.7 - 2.8. But sure its a worthless test thats not reading anything right lol.

I just reallized i am out of carbon pads which i usually run constantly. I had the same carbon filter in for prob 2 week. It was prob realeasing crap back in the tank.

If i get time chris i will give you a buzz and stop by. Tournament at notre dame field this weekend big college scouts.

You think if i were to change a few bulbs to ati bulbs would help. And or try and cut back lights. i am running them from 12:30 to 10. The bulbs i would be getting are used from a friend but i think that these stock current bulbs are hurting it as well.

Also what are proper reading i should have for alk and everything else for sps?

Thanks for the info

·
Registered
280 Posts
For acclimation i just floated them but they went from tank to tank in less than 40 min. They also have been in my tank for months and have tripled in size. I was getting great growth on everything. Acans were in tank for prob 6 months went from 1 to 8 full grown heads and a small colony of 15 heads got about 10 more heads then they died in a few days.

Have one chalice left thats still growing great and my pink favia thats also growing well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts