The Reef Tank banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know,( and I'm sure some of you who have had BB for some time know this) , this is the most stable environment I have ever had in a tank. Daily checks are exactly the same, there is just no wavering unless I add something. I am truly pleased! This is a great way to have a tank! I don't think I would ever go back to sand, CC, or anything else...for me this is way (BB) to go!!!:dance:

·
Registered
682 Posts
Although I’ve never been able to find an adequate explanation for the phenomenon, anecdotal evidence suggests anywhere from 50-90% of the alkalinity consumption in a tank with a sand bed is from the fauna in the sand bed itself (along with other abiotic processes).

I’ve observed 80-90% drops in alkalinity demand immediately after removing sand beds from my tanks. Even a year later, demand has only recovered back to around 50% of its original value.

Sand beds are touted as being “buffers” and having the ability to “make your tank more stable”. The truth may be that all the waste processing going on in a sand bed, in fact, makes a tank more unstable, instead.

·
Big C*ck
172 Posts
This is actually the first time I ever had a fish tank and I noticed that my levels are very stable too. It's funny, because when I first started researching things i read tons of threads about water chemistry swings and instabilities, but I don't find that to be the case at all.

Actually, I don't really test for anything except sg. (a few times a week) and ca. once a month (if that).

·
Big C*ck
172 Posts
I just ran a complete set of tests on my tank and everything was perfect. This was the first time in MONTHS that I tested alk and mg. It seems as though the water I replace from skimming is enough to keep my tanks levels dead right. :)

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,736 Posts
NoSchwag said:
I just ran a complete set of tests on my tank and everything was perfect. This was the first time in MONTHS that I tested alk and mg. It seems as though the water I replace from skimming is enough to keep my tanks levels dead right. :)
You don't have to dose CA or ALK? You do have a bunch of stony corals right?

I would look into why, if you don't have to add these, chances are perty good that your corals aren't growing much and something is wrong.

HTH,
Whiskey

·
Registered
682 Posts
It does seem a little bit odd.

I'd be curious as to what your tank water calcium and alkalinity is at, what your new saltwater calcium and alkalinity is at, and how much water you replace each week.

Unless you have a fish-only tank with no coralline or halimeda algae growth, it's very difficult to keep up with calcium and alk demand by water changes alone (especially with a tank more than six months old).

·
Big C*ck
172 Posts
I don't know, my levels don't really move. :shrugs: Wish I knew if I was doing something wrong.

Could it be that I was blasting my corals with too much halide, and not enough food causing them not to grow? I have plenty of coraline.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I really don't have anything in the tank except for the rock to speak of, (a few small corals) but with the sand or CC bottom I was constantly adding Ca. The substrate must have been soaking it up, as the only thing at this point that is different, is that there is no substrate...my levels are being maintained day after day without any substantial changes. Maybe that will change as corals get added and coralline starts growing, but in the past even after a few days of a restart I was having difficulty maintaining levels. They'd bounce all over the place...so at the moment, even at this early stage I see this as a much more stable environment...my glass stays cleaner, and I can see where the detritius is located rather than just guessing and sifting everywhere to clean up...now it forms in two little piles, one in the back of the tank and one in the front, which leaves no doubt as to where it is, making life a lot easier. Getting rid of the garbage may be the reason it's so stable...I can get rid of it before it makes trouble - because I can see it!! This is just a great way to have a tank!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts